Sick Individual Website Update:More Downloads,Tutorials,etc!

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Luteleigh

Sick Individual Website Update:More Downloads,Tutorials,etc!

Post by Luteleigh »

Grant has been busy as you can tell with all these new downloads popping up: this is because he bought a new host package, with more space and bandwidth, meaning more cool stuff for everyone to see!!

As well as the Udds Armageddon Making Of Special, and the old Highlander Advertfor a communications company (complete with downloads), Grant has put his skills towards a HUGE (!!) tutorial on Staged Sword Fighting, which I have just finished putting together in web format. It is a very interesting read, with detailed pictures and diagrams.

Other than that, the SIP website has had a few minor updates, including a new page devoted to the development of UDDS X, and also a big update to the hidden page, including a very interesting download!!! Sorry no link, it is a hidden page after all! I think some people here have found it, maybe they can tell you how.
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

nice tutorial, and, ehm, i was suprised when i read this part:
Ranging from small cuts and bruises, to major wounds, head injuries and partial amputations.
soon i'm going to do a complete stupid movie, with movie-parodies (matrix eg.), stupid stunts (going down a hill on a skateboard, and then crashing against a garage, at full speed, I know we're crazy), ... I think i'm going to involve fighting with broomstiks too! With the help of the "script" at the end of the tuto, i'm sure it'll work!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Just read through Grants sword tut, and have to say that it is very informitive, the pictures and such help, good for both the begening and the sesoned fighter.
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

The hills are alive
With the sound of music!

GREAT! Grant told me where the secret page was ages ago!

^Nice teaser for everyone else!
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

Sorry about this double post but anyway...

PM ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE SECRET PAGE ON THE SIP WEBSITE IS!
Grant

Post by Grant »

yes partial amputations can often happen training with live and even dull blades. Mostly fingers, but also the occasionally cleaved shoulder or thigh, and don't even think about the damage down when the blade accidently hits a very boney area !
I am glad you like it, i have tried to relate my own personal experiences :)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Everybody I know that has played with swords has been stabed at some point, my group of firends has been doing it for less then a year and we have already had a stabbing.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You make that sound so encouraging, foxwood. I want to go down and sign up for fencing lessons now! :mrgreen:

Though I have never been stabbed with a blade, I puncture myself with pencils all the time!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Ouch. I personaly have never been stabed mind you, being that I'm never in the sword fights, and when I am, its when we are using sticks.
Grant

Post by Grant »

you should see the scars on my torso!
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

Very nicely written tutorial. I've got a fairly similar one, but it lacks that advantage of really nice pictures. I know your pain on the scars and bruises. I choreograph ligthsaber duels so I'm not using bladed weapons, but I have a scar from where I got hit just above the eye during a practice. I've also been fighting in the SCA for 4 years and had piece of my armor forced through my skin during non-choreographed combat (as almost all SCA combat is).
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

you mentioned doing lightsabers, is coreographing one of those fights the same as putting toghter a sword fight or are there any sudled diffrences that might not be picked up from repeted Star Wars watchings?
Grant

Post by Grant »

You will notice a few amount of style chnages from movie to movie and Jedi to Jedi
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I am surprised there hasn't been a jedi with the kilometer long lightsaber! That would make an interesting movie.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Some common JEDI weapons

Lightdagger
This is a smaller version of the lightsaber. The handle was usually 13cm long (as opposed to 25-30cm), and slightly slimmer than the saber's. The blade is only about 20cm long, instead of the normal 60-70cm length of a lightsaber. It was typically used for training or utility purposes, or carried by Jedi as a combat backup (often used as Daisho).

Dual-setting Lightsaber
This is a rare and unusual variation on the normal lightsaber, in that it had two different settings. In the first, it has the normal length, but more powerful, as the traditional lightsaber. In the second setting, the blade losses about 15% of it's power, but doubles in length. This extra length is useful for keeping others at a greater distance, but makes it much more unwieldy to deflect blaster bolts and attack.
For these reason, it used primarily by young, reckless Jedi, who eventually decide to keep it in its first setting, or going to a traditional saber. It was, however, popular with some Jedi who rode into battle on beast back. The dual nature of the blade often gave it a stunning blade-within-a-blade appearance, with one color forming the core, and a second, clearly different one forming the outside sheath. Less than two hundred examples were ever made.

Double-bladed Lightsaber (Lightstaff)
An ultra rare light weapon, the double lightsaber consisted of an elongated handle (about 2.25 times the normal length), which projects a blade from each end. This gave it the versatility and speed against attacks of a quarterstaff, but made it MUCH more dangerous to the user. For this reason, it could usually be used like a normal, single bladed lightsaber. This was considered by many Jedi to be a Dark Side weapon, mainly because its most famous user was the Sith Lord Exar Kun. Less than a dozen examples where ever made.

Stunsaber
Incapable of cutting matter, the Stun Saber produced a neurological shock to the target, who would wake up in about ten minutes with a planet shattering headache. This made a perfect weapon for dealing with an unruly mob that the Jedi can not pacify. It handles exactly like a lightsaber, making it the perfect training weapon. Unfortunately, it can not block projectiles or blaster bolts. Less than fifty are believed to have been made.

Force Lash
The Force Lash, when deactivated, looks much like a lightsaber handle. The actual lash is a telescoping wave guide, approximately 80cm long. The guide is encased in energy. This guide (and the energy wrapped around it) is somewhat flexible, but not enough to wrap around the target. It was used as a training aid, although some Jedi (especially Baadu and Dark Siders) carried them instead of a lightsaber.

Lightwhip
The lightwhip is the prized weapon of many Sith and Dark Jedi, but only a scant handful of Jedi. Similar in many respects to the Force Lash, the Lightwhips were harnessed energy coiled around incredibly strong, 2.5 to 4.5m long (length varies between users, and is based, in part, on the builder's height), alloy whips. They can easily cut through the strongest metals in the hands of a skilled user. Because the lightwhip is flexible and unwieldy, it is very dangerous to the beginner, and those without any formal training are as much a danger to themselves as they to others. In the hands of a skilled user, however, the lightwhip is capable of deflecting blaster bolts and solid projectiles, in
addition to its formidable capabilities.

Light Boomerang
The light boomerang was at one time a highly prized weapon, used primarily by Jedi who enjoyed showing off or where on the front lines of the Sith conflicts. Today, there are none believed to still exist, and only a scant handful of scholars know of it's existence. Like the light whip and force lash, it uses crystal, wave-guide and mirror technology to create an energy field around the actual weapon. For safety reasons, it may only be activated telekinetically, otherwise the user's hand would be instantly removed. Once thrown, the Jedi would be able to guide his weapon against several targets in one throw. Attempting to use this weapon without intense training is suicidal.

Light Claws
This is an unusual weapon, used mainly by Dark Jedi Assassins. They may be
concealed in the sleeves of a tunic or robe. Each claw emits a pair of blades about a meter long. They may also be used to help climbers.

Teepo Master's Blaster
These weapons were wielded by Masters ONLY. Most Paladins carried stock, commercial models. This weapon is a custom made blaster, built by individual Masters. Each weapon, like a lightsaber, is made to a typical template, but each Master would make his blaster to fit his own needs. Some weapons have longer range and lower power ratings. Others have iron sights, but some have optics or reflex sights. Each set of grips was custom made to fit the hand of the Master, with the powerpack type often changing to fit a particular Master's idea of balance and ergonomics. The balance matched to their personal shooting stance. Some didn't even have triggers, instead relying on the Force. Each weapon was tuned to fight it's builder like a glove. Less than a dozen pairs of Master's Blasters are known to still be in existence.

Master Morihei’s Lightbo
This weapon looks like two long (35 cm) handles with blade projectors on both ends... It was made with Ilum crystals (no power needed), and was a gift for the legendary founder of Aiki Jedi knights Morihei Ushiba from his son, an Artificer Jedi, Musashi Ushiba. His father used no lightsaber, but instead, he used his walking stick, charged with Empower Weapon, and even developped special power for it. However, he realized that his Empowered stick was not the same as a real lightsaber, because of its weight and air-resistance. After a long and legendary life, Master Morihei was slain by the newly crowned Emperor Palpatine and his Dark student Darth Vader. The fate of his lightbo, the only known lightbo in the history of the Jedi is unknown, except for the fact that one part of it was taken by the Emperor (perhaps to Mt. Tantiss?).

Lightsai
Lightsai is a very, very rare weapon, supposedly used by Morihei Ushiba's son, Musashi Ushiba. It consists of a long (for such a small weapon), 20-25 cm handle with two side protrusions at the end. The blade is relatively short, about 20-25 cm, and has two smaller blades jutting at 45 degrees angle from the handle. Those additional blades are used for parrying and disarming an opponent armed with a lightsaber.

Lightarrows (lightbows)
Lightarrows must be made using Ilum crystals (no place for power source), and the lightblade is rather weak and short (about 3-5 centimeters). Lightbows (as they were called by ignorants) were mainly used by Factotums for target protection (esp. if the target did not want a Jedi protection, so nobody could be near him and deflect the bolt with his saber). Some warriors also used them, but this was very rare... The most famous lightbow-using Jedi was Tell, a blind Warrior with no hands. He used a crossbow with a special durraloy bow, which had a pull of over 500 kgs. He cocked and aimed it with telekinesis... And he used lightbolts only for target protection, because arrows shot from his crossbow were so powerful he had no need of some lightblade fixed on them...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

OOooo... so many Jedi weapons...

HAH Forgot to include the normal lightsaber! I guess it just isn't that common! lol
Grant

Post by Grant »

well they are common JEDI weapons other than the lightsabre :)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

8) 8) 8)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

where did you come up with all of that, because thats really cool.
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

I've always treated lightsabers like swords. The only difference is that you can usually make the props a lot lighter and be able to do fancier flourishes easier.

Also, all those "Jedi weapons" only exist in the novels or comics which are not canon sources.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Very true. If you had a not-so-common looking lightsaber in a movie, everyone in the audience except for the hardcore fans, might get confused.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I am slowly working on a concept of a JEDI fight where 2 of the combatants use JEDI weapons that are totally unique. Just stuck on the construction of one at the moment, and of course working more on UDDS X :)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Sounds good. I have always wondered what a Jedi fight would look like with different weapons. I would like to see Grants rendition of a Jedi duel... I await patiently. Wait, that doesn't sound like me... I really enjoy watching lightsaber movies. I think I have watched them all at fanfilms.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I have seen better lightsabre combat in fan films than I have in official Star Wars films
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Thats the truth, I am right now working on a lightsaber film, going to finish the script tonight and get down to finding the location and getting the thing mapped out, hopefuly will be better then the fights from the movies, even though I am going to move a bit from a very graseful battle down to a very brutal conflict between a dark Jedi and a Gray jedi (not quite light but not quie dark, Kyle Katarn like for those that have played Jedi Knight).