Gore?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Frosty

Gore?

Post by Frosty »

I have been reading these forums for a long time (even though I just joined), and I have noticed something. Why is it that everyone wants to make movies with a ton of gore and violence in them. Whatever happened to making comedies and dramas, and suspense movies? Plus, they are a ton cheaper, and in my opinion, funner to make. It just seems like it is so easy to come up with a movie that's pretty much all violence. I mean, they are hard to film because you have to come up with all these special effects and stuff but there really isn't any originality, in my opinion. I'm not dissin' anyone either though.
death to traitors

Post by death to traitors »

I very much agree! you win post of the week and my new best forum friend. i like a good drama or a little mystery, comedy is hard to pull off without being dumb and annoying. GREAT first post, you have brought up something i have been thinking for a while now.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Well, there is discussion of comedy and mystery in the forum, just not as much as action based movies. Special effects are the prime in modern motion pictures, and what it takes to create them is quite often discussed here. I guess almost everyone has that sense of challenging themselves to create a "cool" action film. Just take a look at the slogan of the website: Crazy, amateur film making! You can't go wrong with that! :)

Everyone has their own opinions here. That is what makes this such a great forum!
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Thanks!
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

you can create movies that aren't gory or violent, but do have action!
i'm working on such a script now
The_Brand_New_Tarantino

Post by The_Brand_New_Tarantino »

I completely agree. I've made 3 action movies in the last 2 years. The last film i directed took 6 months of filming and i seemed to be contantly barking orders. I am now a quater-way through filming my latest project. And caper film called 'The Matchstick Operation', with no guns, knives, blood etc. and it's the best film making fun i've ever had. done with amauter action!
Why Are You Wearing That Stupid Bunny Suit?

Six Bottles Went Down The Drain. One Hours Waste Of Time.
Grant

Post by Grant »

We are mostly action orientated here. I focus on that personally just for the excitement and challenge of it. Problem is the expense :)
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

a film action movies because all attempts at mystery and slightly complicated dialogue are beyond the acting means of my friends. As soon as i get some decent actors i'll do a thriller or something less visceral but in the meantime its hong kong blood opera style all the way
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

The only problem I have with making a mystery or a drama is
A: The lack of sound equipment
and
B: Would rather blow stuff up.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

It is easyer for me to do action because I have troble getting people who can act into my films, yet my bad acting friends can swing a sword and blow stuff up really well. But if it is any consolation, if everything goes well while I'm editing my lightsaber fight I am going to shoot a comady film, that is if I can get the actors into play, and the script to exactly where I like it, which hinges on my ablity to get the female charaters sounding right, and there in lies the second problem with doing things other then action, they are much harder to write and many of us are not writers, of that nature.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

A) Action is what I do, and I do very well.

B) I LOVE blowing s*** up.
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

I have a feeling that many people on these forums DO indeed make other kinds of films than just action ones. However, I don't think they're going to need to ask for effects help for a comedy as much. Action movies are just what requires the discussion on these boards and therefore are over represented. I happen to be working on 3 films at the time. Two of the three are heavy plot driven Star Wars films (with lightsabers, but only because the script requires them). The third is a Matrix action film.
Grant

Post by Grant »

it would be for me so much cheaper making drama. My work is very prop-based and lately that is very expensive :) One day i will work on more dramatic plots other than schlok action
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

I've only made one non-action orienated film before, and it actully turned out pretty good.

I would love to make a mystery/drama/suspense/comedy film. But; those actully take more work to make then you think, and you actully need some decent actors to play the parts.

Our new Terminator film has some comedy in it. But for the most part, it's an action film. A very good action film.
My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Acting is pretty much everything in a drama or mystery. Facial expressions are tricky to get to look right, plus if your friends really aren't into it, then it will just end up distatrous. But with an action flick, anyone can pretend to shoot a gun, run like a madman, or die and still make it look halfway decent. But by nature, action films require a lot more location shooting and propping, which make them tons more expensive. Especially war-based movies. Whilst in a drama, you could create a good film using only one to two scenes! It is so heavily based on the acting to spark emotion.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

And i would almost always rather spend money then deal with actors and have to actualy, "direct"
The_Brand_New_Tarantino

Well, I have made action films, i have made comedies and i have made thrillers, and my friends and i CAN act, and do much theatre work as well, and i must say that, of all the films i've done, the comedies and the thrillers are the ones where i feel the most a home as a real director.

Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

lol that is pretty funny considering that your name is the brand new tarantino. tarantino is not exactly a comedy director although he's not really the type of director to blow stuff up either.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Yeah that is ironic. But just because you idol a particular director doesn't necessarily mean you have to become just like him.
CORPSE GRINDER

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

I don't always use a ton of gore in my films. Although I know it may seem that way judging from my posts for technical advice. I have made several productions in the past that were not gory at all. I guess that people see me as mostly a gore-director because the gore I do shoot has a lot of technical elements to it and is hard to do, so my posts are generally asking questions about it. I really have no need to post that many topics on pulling off a really technical dialogue scene (for God's sake, JUST MEMORIZE THE LINES!!).

Though the production we're shooting now does have a considerable amount of gore, our next production (still in the writing process) will not. It's a straight up horror/suspense flick not relying on gore to deliver the thrills. Now, there may be some. But we're deffinitely not going for buckets full.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You have to admit, your avatars can be sometimes quite deceiving! :)

Even if your screw up your lines entirely, Keep Going! It may turn out better than the original scripting! Sometimes, I could just improvise everything on the spot. But it depends on what you are doing.
John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by John Groshko »

If I uploaded the non-action movie I’ve made; would anybody be interested in downloading it and seeing it?

I made it about 3 years ago, and it was the first movie that I edited using Premiere, and the first movie that I used green-screen in.

It’s far from a “masterpieceâ€
My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I would download it. I love seeing what my fellow filmmakers are producing! If it has a good story, definately upload it cause that is what most movies seem to be lacking these days, a storyline.
The_Brand_New_Tarantino

My films are influenced strongly by Tarantino. But I up the quirkiness of my characters. So maybe comedy is the wrong word to use. Blackly comic thrillers. That's what I make. How do you upload movies? Then I'll be able to show you the last action movie I made.

Solomon Cloud

Post by Solomon Cloud »

I am more into making romance, romantic comedy or phycosis drama. But in the vein of some of my friends who like to just play around I have a few action scripts I might get working on very soon.

But lately I have been strongly influenced by the works of woody allen. As the humor in those films is the type I like. And beside of the funny, I am very much influenced by heavy films such as the Ice Storm made by ang lee.

What I am trying to say is I feel better making a serious film with out guns and gore, but it is alway's fun to make them. It gets the audience interested and you can really hit them hard with a very well made moving piece.
Blind Metal Inc..
[url=http://www.blindmetal.com/]Blind Metal Site[/url]