Miniatures

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Miniatures

Post by I3lade203 »

Ive deiced to work with a bunch of minitures for sets for my current movie( Did you know lotr helms deep and a lot of those places were done with them? ) and was wondering if you guys had any tips pointers anything really! I was watching a video about some stuff in lotr and how they did their minitures apprently they filmied it in layers with a camera dolly moving over and over with different layers such as smoke, lighting, fire ect. and i figured out a way i could do this, as long as i can build the models! Any comments would be appreciated :)
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

I'm not sure how big you're making these models, but you may want to check out http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/ for some ideas or plans.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Try some model railroad suppliers, that way you can ensure all the models are to scale by using the same track guage (N - HO - S - O -.027) You'll just have to 'age' the structure some to eliminate the shine from the plastic...
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Pretty big! I did a lot of modeling when i used to play a game called warhammer, so im kind of used to it but i dont really remember ( havnt done it in a while!) im going to a railroad supply store tommrow like rapotor said, its more of a hobbie story has modeling, remote control cars ect.
Sigs suck a**.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Yeah, the link I gave you is for the creation of gaming terrain for such games as Warhammer 40k. But it seems like you'll be set with the railroad supplier. Good luck!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Thanks! im also going to try the castle idea from that site you gave me, im planning on have a canyonn and then a castle in between them. Im gonna have armies just come from all three sides ! inside the canynon and on the two sides of it! Im going to also try and get a miniture of a city which ill probably use that site you gave me again
Sigs suck a**.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Cool! Glad to be of assistance! Can't wait to see the results!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah i went to the railraod store bought some stuff for mountians thanks!
Sigs suck a**.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

sounds cool, post some pictures when your done.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I sure will! I also found out lotr had a lot of blue background near their minuture of lotr, and painted in a lot of the rock
Sigs suck a**.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Going to the store tommorw to pick up more stuff, im planning on have two cliffs with a castle fortress inbettween or something of the like
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I had built a pretty large miniature city with a railroad system going all around it many years ago. It was pretty good. I had a mountain, lake, tons of housing, people, crossings, a church, cars, everything to telephone wires... months of work. I probably could have used it for filming too. But a couple years back, my grandparents decided they wanted it gone (as it took up an entire room) so it no longer exists. Although I have everything from it in a fairly large box in my room. Maybe one day it shall be recreated!
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Wow, sounds quite extensive to say the least. I'm sure you've got an old photo of the set up laying around, don't you? I'd like to see this creation (if at all possible).
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

No I don't!!! But I wish I had taken one. I built it before I had even heard of a digital camera. It never really occured to me that I would have to remove it eventually. It was a christmas present that took fly over a couple year span. It is all O scale, so modeling wasn't that expensive. I do have some old diagrams that I drew up for construction around, but they would be too hard to scan.

A couple times, my grandparents cat would get into the room and spend a night chewing its way around. By morning, I would have a huricane disaster scene. Houses everywhere, and scenery replaced! But never any real damage. I decided to keep all the distorted telephone poles as they looked cool. :)
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Cool! I used to have the same thing .. only warhammer so all the stuff I have is futeristic
Sigs suck a**.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

1 way to age the model is to spray (from a distance) matt-black spray paint over it. You get a very fine layer building up over everything, takes that sheen Raptor was talking about away, and tends to collect in corners like dirt would. Don't use much, just a few passes over the set, and it'll achieve the effect.
Moderating behind the bushes!
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Well for my cliffs I can just get weeds and grass outside or the fishtank plants and place it around on them for that realistic look
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The biggest problem I ran into was that I couldn't use arosols because it was inside the house! And it wasn't like I could just take it outside either.

The problem with real plants, is that is has to look to scale. You can buy kits for constructing model trees. Those work great and are relatively cheap.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

True, it does have to be to scale. The fake trees I wasn't sure if they looked good enough, was thinking since I had all kinds of sticks and plants and stuff I could use them.. wasn't sure, i could find a lot to scale, eg use a stick for a close up as a tree , then again it would have to be one thick stick!
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I like the model trees and brush. They look real to me. You can even buy miniature fruits to put on the trees! :)
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

Instead of arosols you could get a mini aircompressor and an airbrush.
Then you can custom mix your Testors paint colors and spray as you like without propellents.
Much greater control.

I have a list of about a half-dozen web links realed to miniature work on the this page.
The Starship Modeller one is pretty good for picking up techniques and they have a good forum too.

I used a lot of airbrushing and drybrushing on this model Millenium Falcon w/interior.
Not really detailed enough for movie work, but I was pretty happy with the results.

Have fun.

BTW: The extended versions of the LOTR DVD sets have loads of information about the miniatures they built. (Though I'd hardly call them mini. Most were 6-24 feet high or more!)
Also, most of the buildings seen close-up in Star Wars EPI & EPII (and many of the "sets") were miniatures.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Pretty cool, althoguth most of them are star wars. Yeah I saw some of the miniture videos from LOTR, and for Minas Tirith(Gondor) they had two models one in big scale for close ups, but only parts of the city were in this big scale, and one in small scale which is what they used when you saw the shot of the city from a distance
Sigs suck a**.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Yeah, the air-brishing idea is good, I used to use one quite a lot before I started doing everything on computers. I wonder if I still have mine? You really only need to apply a very fine dark dust, you don't want to completely spray everything.

I use aerosols indoors - Open the windows for an hour while you're doing it!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Oh, I do all that outside! It'll destroy your furnishings!

I used airbrushing too, got a nice little package of equipment. Make sure you clean it out real good when you're finished! Also don't connect it up to a large household air compressor, use a portable one, or the cans of compressed air. Otherwise you can blow up the hose!
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Yes I made a forest minature and put water in the background and placed the camara at an angle that it looked like it was raining but actually the model was crystal dry.
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.