Hydrogen Bomb

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Hydrogen Bomb

Post by Themovieman44 »

Okay this literally is not a hydrogen bomb but in science class thats what it was called, me and Paul (BrownCow) did this.

Okay what you need is:

2 Baloons
75mL of Water
15 balls of Aluminum Foil
7 pellets of NaOH (Hydroxide)

Place the Aluminum foil balls in a flask or short bottle. Then put the NaOH in. Pour the 75mL of water and quickly place the baloon over the enter/exit point on the bottle or flask. Let it sit for about 20 minutes but watch it. You will see bubbles coming from the aluminum foil. After about 15 minutes feel the bottom of the bottle or flask and you should feel a heat coming from. The baloon should be starting to inflate. Once inflated to desired size (after about 20 min.) Remove the baloon and tie it off. You will see a steam or such coming from the flask which has a pretty awful smell. Light an open flame somewhere. Might want to try this in a dark room or ouside after dark. Place the baloon over the flame, but place the baloon on a stick or hold it with a pair of tongs. Put the baloon in the flame. And if done right. The baloon will pop with the noise 10x louder than usual, and a bright yellow orange light will be produced. But the baloon will be intact. Only a small hole.

What happend was the explosion occured inside the baloon. Me and Paul thought and figured this technique would be good to use for like explosions at night because of the light and sound produced.

If it doesn't work, I dont know what to say, me and paul did it 3 times.

So good luck, have any Questions you know where to find me
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Yeah, this explosion looked f*** amazing. The only downfall was it's size, which was only about two feet in diameter. But this could really be turned into some good stock footage to key into some projects. I'm definitely going to do it again, but record it at night, so I can key out the black. I'm telling you, the color looks really nice!
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

yeah it was what? Yellow, Orange, Red, and a little Blue?? I think so

Should I just stick my hand in there.

Are You Serious?
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah that is the basic hydrogen effect. You can easily substitute the 7 pellets of NaOH (Hydroxide)
with caustic soda
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

huh didnt know that. You learn something new everyday
Grant

Post by Grant »

:) that accounts for some of my burn scars :P
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Real smart Grant... always play it safe... :roll:
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

yes yes, thats why you got my vote for Mod of the Year!
Grant

Post by Grant »

and it happened twice!
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Really it did, what happened?
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Balloons popping causes a similar sound - The hydrogen just amplifies this! Partly inflate a balloon before-hand with oxygen, then add the hydrogen - Now that WILL make a bang!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

So me and Browncow have heard from our nifty science teacher Mr. Clifford
Grant

Post by Grant »

the most notable time was when the bottle i was mixing the chemical on and collecting the gas with overheated. I heard a tiny "click" noise and knew it was time to flee. The bottle exploded and i was covered in a hot caustic soda mix. My top was soaked and i felt my lower belly getting very very hot. I tore off my top and the top layers of skin on my stomach were gooey. Then i simply hosed myself off :)
Faldor

Post by Faldor »

one of your less intresting days there Grant?
"I know you're gonna be right, and you haven't even said anything yet! Oh there you go...I was too slow with this reply, but I still agree with you" - Ornsack
Grant

Post by Grant »

well there have been other memorable ones involving backyard chemicals i asure you.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Wow what a story lol. Sounds like good fun in your neck of the woods Grant
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

WTF is that supposed to mean?
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

No matter how many times I say ignore him, and no matter how many times I delete your post where you take him on board, you still come back and say it again Movieman!!! :P
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Yeah sorry Ornsack. NEvermind, i will just ignore him now. THat was my last post against him sorry.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

another way to get hydrogen (and oxygen)

get a bottle of water, and run an electric current through it, from 2 plates of (i think) zinc. it separates the oxygen and hydrogen atoms
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

HEY! Ressurecting old threads is MY occupation!!! :dammit: :eviltongue: :banghead: :no: :evil:
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

I think me 'n Truggy tried the same thing with Drano and Alluminum foil balls. This was a story in itself.

Me and Truggy were hanging out one day with a friend of ours, he said, "Hey, Wanna make a bottle bomb?" We say, "Um, sure! How do we make it?" He explains that we get a 2 liter bottle, fill it about 3/4 of the way with Drano, then with small balls of alluminum foil." We did this, and threw it out in the middle of a feild. Unfourtunatley, it was winter, and the ground was covered in snow. Our friend said that it usually takes 30 seconds to a minute and a half, but we were standing there for 20 minutes before I just said "F*^# it." I walked over to the bottle, and picked it up. I noticed that the drano was all black and thick, and the bottle was a little warm, and that the area that it was lying in was now a small puddle. I shook it a little, and the bottle started to strech. I said an obsenity and threw the bottle, it got about 2 feet away from me when it detonated, fortunatley, the drano vaporized into a nice flak-looking mist, but I was struck by a few extremley hot balls of foil. We figured out that the bottle detonates because some reaction between the drano and alluminum heats up, and the stuff expands, and therefore, it blows up. But since it was lying in snow, it heated up alot slower.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

God, but very dangerous on our part lol
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
TheWall

Post by TheWall »

i use the works pipe cleaner that works to
I BET YOUR THE KIND OF PERSON WHO WOULD FU*K A GUY AND DONT OFFER HIM A REACH AROUND!!!- Full Metal Jacket
rankine04

Post by rankine04 »

what is drano? sounds a good thing to do