One thing slow, another thing fast.....

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Spike

One thing slow, another thing fast.....

Post by Spike »

If any of you have ever seen the musicvideo to the song Street Spirit by Radiohead (directed by Spike Jonze) you might have noticed this really cool effect. You can see in one frame that one character is doing something in slow-motion and another character is moving in normal speed.....
Does anyone know how to do that??
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

greenscreen/masking
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah the person going slow is filmed against a geenscreen,(or for a better way just in the same background with the same camera motions and masked out) and then since you have 2 different clips layering them selfs on top of each other, they each have speed control so you can control one specifily making it slow while the rest fast, or the other way around
Sigs suck a**.
seantree

Post by seantree »

yup, i'd go with the masking technique. I would shoot the "fast" footage , then the "slow" footage both with a locked down camera. then throw them in your comping app and set the speed, and mask whichever footage seems easiest. That would depend on what type of motion you were shooting.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

yeah thats basicly what i said, make sure you have the camera movments exactly the same
Sigs suck a**.
TXFilms

Great example:

Post by TXFilms »

If you want some details, go rent, or better yet BUY "THE ONE" and watch the behind the scenes... They did the same thing for the fighting scenes. They used CG people, but the idea is the same. Videotape the people and slow it down, and videotape and mask out the other man in the same environment. Greenscreen would be very difficult to get the positions right. they even used tape on the floor to try and sync the movements to the action...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I3lade203 wrote:yeah thats basicly what i said, make sure you have the camera movments exactly the same
Or you can just stick the camera on a tripod an make your life easier.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Epsilon wrote:
I3lade203 wrote:yeah thats basicly what i said, make sure you have the camera movments exactly the same
Or you can just stick the camera on a tripod an make your life easier.
Nothing gets past epsilon, just dont bump the tripod.
@seanbagley
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Thats funny becuase my tripod broke last night and now i need a new one damn it!
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Use a beanbag! Those can be surprisingly effective for camera support! :lol:
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Beanbag eh? Good thing i have one of those , im getting another tripod soon anyway so i probably wont need to try it
Sigs suck a**.
Mrdodobird

crazy

Post by Mrdodobird »

Weird you said that. I just did that effect the other day. In my movie the guy is a time-phaser, and he's trying to understand the strange things that are happening. In one shot, he's riding his bike at normal speed, but behind him, people are running at half speed. As said before, it's just a moving mask, but it works really well, and kinda messes with people's heads.