Walking on Water (also posted in special effects)

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

tweak

Walking on Water (also posted in special effects)

Post by tweak »

Ok, I'm doing this artistic short and the end the voice over says "Miracles happen" sort of thing and I want the guy to walk on water.

I'm filming this in a marina, and the water's about 35-40 feet deep, so I can't really build a ramp for him to walk on.

I was thinking maybe compositing, but if I could physically do it, it would be easier.

Maybe something like Jim Carey walking on water in Bruce Almighty or Alan Rickman in Dogma? That same sort of effect.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Eiter way, this is going to be a pain in the a**. I suggest using some kind of wire rig, or do some compositing. That's all I've got to offer for the moment being.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Yeah well i wire rig or a thin ramp to walk on?. Maybe fin somewhere really flat and shallow just to give the impression?
DoDGe

Post by DoDGe »

like i said in the other one, just some glass in a small pool, with camera aiming upwards under water, then cut to u far away in ocean "walking on water", add urself in using blue screen or something
[url=http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=viewpro&member=DoDGe]DoDGe[/url]
[url=http://www.home-editing.cjb.net]Home Editing[/url]
[email]dodge2k2@hotmail.com[/email]
Lorenzo_amateur_prods

Post by Lorenzo_amateur_prods »

yeah pretty much
-Cause i could just as well go and live in the hills, George...
-You could just as well go to hell. Shut up and sleep.

Lorenzo Lev
Lorenzo Amateur Productions
http://www.filmmaking.150m.com (Not finished yet)
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

It's not that difficult! All you need is a few sheets of wood, some scissors and cowgum! Actually, forget the cowgum, cuz that'll dissolve in the water!

Get 3 sheets of 6'X12' OSB (Oriented Strand Board). Bolt 'em together, so they're looking like a 6'X35' runway! Now all you need to do is to attach some sumberged flotation tanks to the corners. The plywood will provide some of the flotation, but the tanks will add extra buoyuancy at the ends, and the sides.

You could use some old yoghurt pots and sticky back plastic for the flotation tanks! ;) Hang on! That won't do, unless your pet hampster is the one walking on water! Nope, just go for some empty 2 or 3l fizzy drink bottles, strapped on (oo-er missus!).

And Finally... ... some grey paint'll help mask the boards, blend them into the water colour, take the shadow away.

Shoot the scene from a fairly low angle!

Failing that, have a profound religious experience, and you'll be able to do the same without effects!
Moderating behind the bushes!
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

I think the profound religious experience would be easier. But I wouldn't know
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Drugs supposedly have the same effect, but I guess you can't film what you're seeing!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

What if you just made a shallow pool of water, like half and inch deep, shoot your actor walking into the water then just showed his feet on the pool, you will have to darken the water, and posably use blue screans in the back with camera angles, you could get somthing interesting. And A Profound religus expereance drugs or no would probably be simpler then this effect.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You could always make it a profound drug-induced religious experience!
gundam007

Post by gundam007 »

call me old fashioned, but I think anything is possible with just camera angles. Mainly because I don't have a camera, and when I use a friend's, I never have the wires to hook to a computer. just cut parts of baby pools together (really cheap), to make a long pool and have the cam at water level(put some plastic around it for protection) and follow the guy as he moves.