Difference between VCD and SVCD

All aspects of creating media (DVD, Blu-ray, VCD or SVCD) including authoring and menu creation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Anonymous

Difference between VCD and SVCD

Post by Anonymous »

Hi guys

What is the difference between VCDs and SVCDs? Can DVD players play both formats?
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

There are a few fundamental differences between VCD and SVCD.

1) VCD uses MPEG1 compression to fit about 70-80 minutes of video onto a single CD. The bit rate and resolution are fixed so 10 mins always takes up the same about of space.

2) SVCD uses MPEG2 compression. The bit rate is variable meaning you have more control over the quality. Usually an SVCD can store 30-40 minutes of video. Creating an SVCD disc is far harder because there are more settings to fiddle with!

3) Many DVD players can play VCDs and SVCDs. Although being able to play a VCD does not mean it can play SVCDs as well. It is entirely dependent on the model.

4) The MPEG2 compression on a SVCD requires more processing power to encode and decode. This can result in poor play back on some DVD players. I have had far more success with VCDs.

I prefer VCDs because they are easier to create and compatible with a larger number of DVD players. Also they are far easier to play on a PC.

There is more info about VCD and SVCDs in my VideoCD section :

Matts VideoCD Info

Or a site called http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ where I learnt everything I know about this stuff :)

[Edited on 10-8-2003 by Adam]