Music Creating

This forum is for discussing all aspects of film soundtracks.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rheborn

Music Creating

Post by Rheborn »

Ok i was kinda wondering if there were any programs out there that could help me create my own music within my computer. because at the moment im to poor to get any instruments. if any of you could help me find a program preferably downloadable. could ya give me the heads up cuz im gonna try to make a music video if i can get a program to help me create some kickin music.
--------------------------
www.xeropictures.com
ssj3gohan

Post by ssj3gohan »

Hey, now you're talking: this is my cuppa.

If you want to make music easy&fast (but not anything near prof. quality) Magix Music Maker can help you, (and just for the samples it's worth the price) but if you really want to MAKE your own music (instead of lining up 13-second samples) Fruity Loops/FL studio kicks a**. That is a real synthesizer with lots of professional stuff, it incorporates samples as well as generators, filters, etc. That is the real stuff. It's not very expensive, certainly not for what you're getting, however you're gonna have to buy a plugin for kick-a** electrical guitar effects with it to make some real music. The combination of those two is (I think) 170 dollars but I'm not sure (fast google should reveal). If you're into DJ'ing too Native Instruments Traktor DJ Studio should do the trick, and for quick wave editing the free program Audacity is perfect.
That's about all.
[img]http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/c.nijssen-parhan/banner1.JPG[/img]
ancient_recruit

Post by ancient_recruit »

I actually play bass guitar in an amateur hard rock band, and for recording demos, we use Fruity Loops to do the drum programming.

Of course, you have to be a little bit more of a 'musician' to get a decent tune from the many FL samples in the program ... But if you're looking for a simpler way of inventing tracks, try EJay on for size.

:)
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

How do Fruity Loops work? Do you have to write out the music in notation, can you create anything you want? Any injstrument from bass to flute? You don't work with pre-recorded samples do you?
www.neverdead.co.nr
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You can use eJay, like Matt suggested some days aog. That is fun!

As for music composition, there is Cakewalk, Finale, Sibalius, so many of them! Finale is the best though. But just for mixing wavs, I wouldn't get that far into originality!
Rheborn

Post by Rheborn »

Ok these all look like good things. But i dont have the money to pay for these nifty programs. Is there any free ones out there. That are easy to put on and remove incase of emergencies?
--------------------------
www.xeropictures.com
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Print Music by Coda, does pretty much all the basics and more than you'll need in music notation. It's the cheaper version of Finale. It retails somewhere around $50. I'm sure it can be found cheaper.
ssj3gohan

Post by ssj3gohan »

If you want print music, there should be loads of free programs as I remember I used a free program once, but sorry, I forgot the name. Google should reveal it as it always does. If you want to synthesize like in fruity loops (oh, if you don't know how it works, play with it. This is a real program to f_uck around in etc, playing will reveal the niftiest coolest stuff. If you still don't get it add me in MSN). There are NO free good synthesizers, the good ones all cost the same and are called FL Studio, Cubase VST(i) and Cakewalk.
[img]http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/c.nijssen-parhan/banner1.JPG[/img]
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

What does fruity loops do? Is it basically tons of instruments that you notate and arrange? or do you just take premade clips and arrange them?
www.neverdead.co.nr
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

fruity loops was really confusing for me when i used it awhile ago. but i really wanted a program that you we see actual bars of music you could use instead of that piano roll thing, but its good for making drum stuff i thinbk
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

Search google im sure u can find one there
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Look into acid 4.0 too. It doesn't come with loops though, but just see if you can get your hands on a used copy of Magix music maker and use their samples, and then just assemble in Acid. That's what I do.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

www.tabit.net is your answer to everything, also their is a program called melody assistant, you can find the link to download it by doing a google search. :D
"Prolly Just Film"
norcalguy9567

Post by norcalguy9567 »

another idea is hyperscore. it looks bizarre when you open it, but once you get it down, you can make some cool stuff. you can download it free if you google it.
Rico

Post by Rico »

FLStudio is a program for creating music, it's a sequencer in a way, but not as much so as Cubase/Cakewalk/Logic and others. In FLStudio You can use a piano roll (which is common for all sequencers) or You can use a pattern editor (which is a lot like what You use on drum-synths). You cannot use notation in FLStudio though.

Most of these programs nowdays comes with support for software synthesizers in one way or another. And there are free or cheap sequencer or sequencer-like programs (i.e. programs that let You compose or arrange notes into "patterns" or "parts" which can then be used to create music) as well. I personally rarely use the ones included in the FLStudio package...
And speaking of software synthesizers - there are tons of them, some free and some expensive as hell. Some are really good, others are pure cr** (true for the free ones as well as for the ones You pay for).
FLStudio also handles samples and comes with some amount of sampled instruments, effects and whatnot.
Bottom line is that FLStudio comes with everything You need to make music, as do other packages, but FLStudio is quite cheap and complete in comparison with others.

Free or cheap sequencer programs do also exist. Pick up an issue of Computer Music magazine and on the cover CD You'll find a sequencer/studio program and software synths and usually a neat but not all-covering collection of samples or presets for these synths. More can be downloaded...

Regards,
Rico
Scores for Your movie
[url]http://www.fredrikblom.com[/url]
norcalguy9567

Post by norcalguy9567 »

hey guys, never mind what i said about using hyperscore. the more i use it, the less in understand it. especailly now that i've fot FL, hyperscore just sucks.
Edgen

Post by Edgen »

I use gigastudio as my sampler program, and then i load up Sonar as my midi sequencer. Of course, both are pricey programs, but i find they are great for making orchestral / instrumental music. You can also import loops and it acts the same way as Acid. Its all about the sound samples you use.

/j
JRDurban
[url]http://www.edgen.com[/url]
[url]http://www.allmediastudios.com[/url]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

No idea! I ussually have someone compose for me!
Sigs suck a**.