Gun-in-sleeves-effect!??

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

SpikeLJ

Gun-in-sleeves-effect!??

Post by SpikeLJ »

Hey if you've seen Desperado you'll know what i'm talking about, Antonio Banderas is holding his hands over his head and then all of the sudden a gun pops out of each of his jacketsleeves. Now i know that this effect was done with oldschool camera tricks, but i'm not sure how to do it right, i tried and it looked bad, any ideas???
abodeofthedamned

Post by abodeofthedamned »

The effect was done with 2 chopped down Ruger models that had the grips sawed off right below the trigger guard. His costume also had enlarged sleeves that were wrapped around his arms. The guns were strapped to two "sleeve guns" on his forearms. First they shot a clip of the guns popping out of his sleeves and then cut to him holding the two practical Rugers.
Sleeve guns ave been used in movies like Red Heat, Taxi Driver, Wild, Wild West and Alien 4.
You can buy one for aound $250 USD at:
http://hometown.aol.com/tsmyth6353/myhomepage/tv.html
Or try making your own. Taxi Driver will give you a good idea where to start.
If eating babies is evil, then, yes, I'm evil.
SpikeLJ

Post by SpikeLJ »

thanks pal, thats a little expensive though, i'll probably just try to make one myself
The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.
abodeofthedamned

Post by abodeofthedamned »

Another possibility...
On Angel, his two wrist stakes are simply Prop stakes attached to drawer gliders that are fastened to leather gauntlets. They're gravity activated. Something like that would work. You can get the gliders from most hardware stores, Rona or the like.
The "spring" effect in Taxi Driver was acomplished by using one of those little key retainers. The ones where a cord is wrapped in a little spring loaded circle, you pull the cord and the spring rewinds it when released. It's a fairly simple mechanism.
You could also have someone off screen with fishing line attached to the mechanism and have them pull it on action.
If eating babies is evil, then, yes, I'm evil.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

or, have them hidden under a quite big sleeved coat, then jus have something like fishing line tied at one end to the trigger guards, then tie the other end to something else (eg. door handle) then when U want em, jus pull your hands back, and with luck, U should pull them out :P (and then U switch camera angle and remove the line)

EDIT: oh, I didnt read the above post :roll:
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

If any one has seen the film Equlibrium, Christian Bale does the same effect. Looks very kool
townshend88

Post by townshend88 »

I made a gun rail system about 3 months ago. I bought a drawer slide replacement at home depot and then added a block of wood to the sliding part and put a long screw with a gun attatched at the end of it. It works very well, but it took a really long time to make. However, even though I made it as small as i could, most guns are still far too big to fit in a normal suit sleeve, but it would still be useful in a film if you wanted to show someone putting it on and trying it out without a suit, and then later just fooling the audience into thinking it came out during a gunfight. Ill post a test shot of it if I can get access to my friends camera.
"Can the boy tell time?"
"Oh my Lord, no."
Grant

Post by Grant »

nice idea townsend
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Spike_P_2 »

Ive doen that springloaded thing they did in angeland Equilibrium. (both kicked a** by the way) and they work really well. I think if you possibly just broadne the sleeves your using it might work, but then thats just my opinion. so..... but equilibrium rocked.
"Peopel shouldn't fear their Governments, Governments should fear their People."
-"V" for Vendetta