More blood...

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

ctd

More blood...

Post by ctd »

I know that there have been plenty of topics about blood, but I can't seem this. I need a good blood recipe that does not stain skin because the actor is going to be covered in it. Any help would be nice.
Thanks.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Well, I created some blood to use that wouldn't stain clothes, and it washes off easily.

I still use food coloring, both red and green. I also added milk, chocolate milk powder mix, and karo corn syrup. The final ingredient -- laundry detergent.

When you make it, and in your case this will be easy, make it in a large tupperware container or something, and be sure to use food coloring sparingly -- just enough to get a general desired color, although you should be able to get a dark, realistic color by adding the chocolate milk powder mix, and get rid of the transparency at the same time with the white milk. Work with those more. When you've got a color you like, get some sort of laundry detergent, any kind will do, but make sure you consider the color. If you get a dark blue you should be okay, possibly Gain or something. When you add it to your mix, it will most likely change your color but you can fix it with more cocoa powder mix, or by adding a few drops of red food coloring. The detergent almost seems to neutralize the whole "staining" thing. One of my shirts was covered in it for the first scene of my movie and you can't even tell because it all came out. You'll have to mess around with that recipe, I know I did, but you should be able to get something. Be sure you test it first though.

Good luck, and hope it works.
Grant

Post by Grant »

well even food dye does wash off fairly easily from skin.
Jason

Post by Jason »

this is true
ctd

Post by ctd »

ok thanks. I was messing with a blood recipe the other day and got food coloring on my hand and it tok over a day to come off. I will try what you said.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

hot, soapy water is all you need..... also try and wash it off as soon after the shot is over as possible... otherwise your actor will look like theyve got ONE HECK of a bad sunburn :P
CrIsS_CrOsS

Post by CrIsS_CrOsS »

Make sure you or the actor is not allergic to it because I had to cover myself in blood (red food coloring & syrup) and I broke out into a RASH!! :eviltongue:
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Grant wrote:well even food dye does wash off fairly easily from skin.
Not all of it - Some of the stuff stains really badly, and it'll take over a week before it starts to come through the skin.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

YES! Test it first! Last few times I used food coloring, it stayed for several days!
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Bleach takes it off really easy. Don't use on sensitive parts..but hands arms things like that, works great.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Figure that if it stain skin like crazy, do you want to use it on clothing you wish to keep? You cannot very well bleach a colored shirt!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I have never had any stain problems with the old corn syurp and red food coloring way of making blood.
BagBoysProductions

Post by BagBoysProductions »

but when your making blood make sure to add some blue or green food more or less depending on what kind of bloodit is. dye because it will like more like cool aid
Josh Beaver
- Writer
- Director
- SFX
- Editor
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

After trying lots and lots of blood mixes I have decided that the Karo Syrup blood mix works the best. All you need is a bottle of Karo Light Corn Syrup, a bottle of red food coloring, a bottle of green food coloring, and a bowl to mix it with. Just pour some Karo syrup into the bowl and then some red food coloring, be very generous, then add some green food coloring until it looks right. This is for a darker blood mix. Here is a pic.

"Prolly Just Film"
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Forget all that sticky syrup. Just get some powdered gelletin, and some cocoa powder, mix it up with some water, and apply it. It won't stain, smells nice, and washes off easily. As it dries, it has a slight shine and darkens like scabs do, and the brown colour looks like dried blood does anyway.

Easy to do, good results!
Moderating behind the bushes!
ctd

Post by ctd »

Cool, thanks a lot.
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

Nah, see, gelletin, I've tried that, and the consistancy in that really sucks, and it doesn't stick very well, I'd "stick" with the sticky stuff.
"Prolly Just Film"
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

The sticky stuff does indeed work best, its a little messy granted, but the results are indeed im pressive, Great pic btw.
I use golden syrup and red food colouring, with a little blue mixed in so its not too orangy, Karo syrup works aswell, and unlike many blood recipes, it dosent taste like s***, lolol.
There is a good recipe from Bruce Campbell himself on the Evil Dead commentary. Just a thought, but these are the best recipes if you ask me, look great on clothes and they even dry a browny/coppery colour, just like the real thing. lots of dirrent things to try, the trick to make it seem worse sometimes is to add a very thin layer of white water base make up, it enhances the crimson look. But its a well known fact that a white background is the best for testing. I'm making fake blood all the time, and since its been used in a Production at college, everyone from the media/film department emails me asking me to make it for them, so it must be good good. My biggest mistake I think is not charging for it, I think I could have made a little profit.....ahh well. 'Blood by Russ (nightmares Inc)' is a good enough reward for me