Fruity Loops help!

This forum is for discussing all aspects of film soundtracks.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Fruity Loops help!

Post by Vamp »

I have FL Questions that no one can seem to help me with but seem pretty simple. However not knowing them really f*** up the timing of any songs I'm working with... So...

1.Ok, let's say I'm in the piano roll, there're are alot of small blocks, all of them making up a big square (1, 2, 3,4 etc on the timeline) Now here's the problem, if I only make a short riff that doesn't completely fill a big block, or I make a long riff that goes 2 small blocks over a big block so it takes up one big block but only a quarter of the second block, I get a gap in the sound, so if that's pattern 1 and I put 2 pattern 1 blocks next to each other in the playlist there'll be a gap in the sound in between playing each pattern... Is there a way to tell the piano roll when to stop playing and go back to the beginning to loop or is the only way to get rid of that gap in the sound to move the second pattern bar over the first one so as all the sound the first one ends (but there's still some bar left) and starts that silent gap, the second pattern will play.

Summary: How can I tell the piano roll to stop playing after a certain note so it doesn't carry on and play to the end of a bar. Or is the only I can do this by overlaying pattern blocks in the playlist so one pattern starts just as the one reaches the end and starts playing that silence?

2. I've started using the record mode to play out a riff with my keyboard instead of drawing each note in the piano roll... This is really great and saves alot of time, the only problem is it's hard to sync each channel...

Lets say I have a whole piano roll of organ notes on pattern 1 and on pattern 2 I want to put in a bass note to accompany each organ note, so I goto Record and as the Organ pattern plays I use my keyboard to play and record the bass channel.

There's just one problem, I can't see when each Organ note is played, so I can't play the bass perfectly in time with each organ note. The only way I can see the notes though is by going to the Organ's Pattern and putting the bass channel in there and watching the Organ's piano roll as I play and record the bass, but I would like to have the bass in another pattern but if I put it in another pattern than I can't see the organ's piano roll...

Is there away to see one channels piano roll as a timing reference while I record another channel in another pattern?

Also, timing: How the hell do you do it!

I can make a really nice first pattern, but as soon as I try add something else to it in a different pattern, I can never get the timing right! I have no idea how to make a good drum beat that will stay in time with my main pattern! Same with bass lines or just other patterns! Do you guys have any tips I can use? It's especially hard when I need to overlay patterns over each other, I find it hard overlaying the pattern to the EXACT spot that I've been doing all the others.

When you're making drum beats, how do you do it? Each drum part at a time making a small pattern and looping it, or do you make a long piano roll of the entire drum track?

Thanks to anyone that can help! And I've read the manual, can find NO HELP there!
www.neverdead.co.nr
Rico

RE: Fruity Loops help!

Post by Rico »

Well, just some short answers but...

1) Usually You use complete bars for a riff I guess, and if not it's usually because You want a gap. But not always, so in the playlist You can put the pattern "blocks" so that they overlap, and thereby avoid this problem. I usually use this technique whr a note or two are sustained (for effects as an example) and therefore plays a little longer than an even bar, but I still want the pattern to start play immediatley while the last notes still sounds...

2) You can't see the piano roll for another channel in another pattern, but You can see other channels in the same pattern by activating "ghost channel" (or whatever it is called). With this turned on You will see all channels' notes in the same pattern greyed in the piano roll.

As for timing, I guess it's a bout practise, practise and more practise. One way to keep the tempo is to turn on the metronome unless You have a steady beat programmed (i.e. 4-to-the-floor)...

I tend to mix when creating drum beats, the base is a couple of patterns with the basic beat and variations, and I then use another pattern and fill in where needed... At least that's one way of doing it.

Regards,
Rico
Scores for Your movie
[url]http://www.fredrikblom.com[/url]