Explosions

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Explosions

Post by Radiate »

How could u make a realistic looking explosion without using stock footage? Ive tried the stomping on the piece of wood techniqe but that doesnt look the most real. I think im going to try the way they did it in BOB. we'll see how that works out.....[/u]
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Explosions

Post by OutcastJiob »

You could always just make real explosions. It's more fun anyway!
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

Someone on this site posted something about a gadget you can buy that use alot of pressured air and you can blow dirt, water, blood in the air.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Thunderpipe FX-1 is what you speak of. Clicky Click
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Detonation Films website has been unbearably slow lately. Great stuff though.
Bugalicious

Post by Bugalicious »

why not just bury a pipe/tube, then just blow in the other end, spraying up dirt. Then just adding smoke in post
yeah, im a loser..
www.bugs-page.tk
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The problem with smoke in post is that it isn't interactive. Smoke machines are much better at that! :)

Anybody ever try playing with hydrogen balloons?
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Nope, I've used balloons full of the "compressed air keyboard duster" spray though, it has a very similar effect. And if you spray WD-40 inside the balloon you get a much cooler fireball than if it were just the balloon.

I'd really recommend going with physical explosives if 1) you can get the components (or at least fireworks to gut for powder) and 2) if you think you can be careful enough. I've been blowing up and lighting things on fire for a year or two and the worst injury I've gotten is a burn from a regular box match, so it's possible to do it safely.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Roman Candle upside down in a gasoline filled jerry can. Light the fuse, run like hell!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Don't kill the jerry can! They make great props!
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

What's wrong with the board+lever? Hide it in a bush or something.
Short of stock footage and other ideas suggested, I know that you don't want to use fireworks, you could try a search too.
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

where did u get the idea that I don't want to use fireworks? And with the board and lever all of the explosions are the same, a perfect little round mushroom or dome shape.
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Hit hard enough, the dirt and whatever else will fly up differently. It's probably not being hit hard enough if it's a dome.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

Its the same every time i do explosions with you, and thats like every day! And if I hit harder it will just be a different sized dome.
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

We don't shoot every day, but they don't really look like domes. And this is LOW budget filmaking and it still looks ok.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

I know that its low-budget I was just seeing if there was a better way of doing it, to make it look make it look REAL, the way you do it looks very fake.
And why are you always against me?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

hmm, what you could do is get a pneumatic potato gun (becuase everybody has 1 lying around somewhere :P) but a hose adaptor on end, run house through ground
Sebas

Post by Sebas »

Get a bucket, put some flour in it and attach a device to pump air in it
If you do it correctly you will get a nice eehm "Woosh" you know :P
Camouflage the bucket and and ad a cool explosion sound. Hope you can do something with it, i've tried it before and it works but i don't know how proffesional it needs to look, well goodluck
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

ive also tried a string of caps down a tube filled with dust. But thats not too great and is only really suited for individual shots
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

How'd you light the caps? I tried it with a lighter, looked okay. It didn't "poof" enough.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

Make sure you have plenty of flour or something like that if you want it to "poof." And for lighting, a lighter works or you could drop a match down the end.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

No, i mean like an electronic detonator. And putting a match down the end would't give you much time to get away.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

The same as a lighter except less, because then your holding on to it! But if you drop a match down it, or even better have a long fuse running away from it you should have plenty of time to get away from it.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Okay.... :?
Besides a fuse, should I try a rocket engine or do something with wires? And it'll be buried underground so, the fuse won't work.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

Yeah that will work great! At any hobby store they sell plenty of different engines and CO2 cartridges for pretty cheap. Plus they have launch pads with wires that will lauch the rocket up. So just burry the wires underground.