Helicoptor

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

freed

Helicoptor

Post by freed »

Hey all.

I need a part in my film of just a simple shot of a helicoptor flying.

I would film this myself but, i really want the shot, with the helicoptor at the same level rather than looking up.

As simple as the shot may sound, I justc ant seem to find anything that could help me, i dont have top notch Moddeling programs like Light wave and 3ds max, so that's out the question.

I have found some relativley good stock footage, wich ofcourse though, is way to expensive.

So can anyone please help out.

Any help appreciated
-Freed
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Helicoptor

Post by jcdenton »

I'd use a Miniature Model. they're pretty cheap. The only problem is the rotors, but you may add an electro motor to rotate the rotors (a real RC Helicopter may be the choice of real pro SFX, but it's too expensive). Then use thin nylon wires and a sky background. I wouldn't use bluescreen, instead try to use a big sky (paper) picture.
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

I agree with jcdenton, go with a miniature. It's the most straightforward way, and relatively easy if you're any good at building and painting models.

If you want to show the ground, though, you're obviously going to need a bluescreen. Unless you can rig a deal where you have the helicopter suspended in front of your camera up on a crane. . . .

EDIT: Oh, for the rotors, depending on the angle, you may be able to just mess about with Photoshop and your editing software and create a simulated moving rotor from still images of the model and its rotor. However, again like jcdenton said, if you can use a motor, do it; it's simpler in the long wrong AND it doesn't break the rule of "Never do in post what you can do physically."
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

What are the specs for the shot? How long does it need to be? Treetops? Ground? Mountains? Clouds? What do you need?
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

What are the specs for the shot? How long does it need to be? Treetops? Ground? Mountains? Clouds? What do you need?
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

Echo
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

double posting is common these days.
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
freed

Post by freed »

It's just a simple shot of a helicopter in the sky, no back ground needed. However, it is flying over a city.

As for models and blue screening, it's really something i dont think that deserves that much effort for just a simple establishing shot.
Sgtpadrino doesn't pose topless on public forums like a bellend.
robosays21

Post by robosays21 »

first of all, its not that much effort. go to walmart and get three pieces of neon green poster board for $2. tape them together. wow! a lot of effort!
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

and, you may buy one of the pre-assembled kiddy toy helicopters, not a kit you have to assemble yourself with glue and stuff (those kits are more costy and a lot of work)

The kids toy helicopters may lack of certain details, but when you use a nervous camera with a bit of motion blur here and there and a fast cutting rythm, it won't be too obvious. Also, try to make it slow motion, using some interpolation softare (after de-interlacing) (eg: "MotionPerfect" ), the smaller the model, the slower the replay should be(well this rule is used in pyro-FX, but it works here too).

And last but not least use a light that is as diffuse as possible, just like the sunlight. When a lightbulb is reflected on the shiny surface of a model, it will look very fake-ish. So better light the scene with indirect light, using big white towels or something as reflectors on as many sides as possible. (well maybe not below the helicopter)
ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

What kind of helicopter do you need? I could look in my footage to see what I have. I dont have much helicopter though.
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

About the lighting: if you don't want to play around with simulating sunlight, you can film out under the real sun. The sun is also pretty handy for evenly lighting your greenscreen, if I remember correctly. . .

About the child's toy method: if you go that route, you can always do a bit of modification on the model to make it look more realistic. I'm pretty sure it'll need a new paint job, regardless of what toy you get, so why not do a bit of work before you paint and make the model that much better. Also, to eliminate the glare problem jcdenton was talking about, do NOT paint it with gloss paint, unless the real helicopter is also very glossy or shiny looking. Even so, use light gloss paints, or it'll look too glossy due to the scale issues (I think).
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.