iTunes and Final Cut Express 2

This forum is for discussing all aspects of film soundtracks.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

iTunes and Final Cut Express 2

Post by Almondo99 »

Ok I just got FCE 2 which is pretty cool and I can't convert protected AAC files I bought of the iTunes music store, to AIFF. It's the only music file it supports for some crazy reason. Any help on...uhh...bypassing this so I don't have to buy the whole cd or find a diffrent song?
kill-khan

Post by kill-khan »

Hey dude. I'm new here but I think I can help you. There might be updates For FCE2 that allow you to use AAC files. Another thing I would do is import the music files into iMovie and export the quicktime file. Then import the quicktime into the audio layer in FCE2. I haven't tried it yet but it's worth a try.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Thanks I'll try that. Mistyped, It's FCE HD I don't know if it's diffrent but...
I'll look around on the Apple website, I think I found an update. Welcome kill-khan
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

If you can't find a “realâ€
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
kill-khan

Post by kill-khan »

OutcastJiob has got a point. You could get some kind of recording software and play it back. If you can get Wiretap. It's a free recording program. I think it might be illegal thoughbecause you can record anything off your computer. It doesn't record from microphones though. If you still want to get it I have the link.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/
It's a good program but it does give your recording a tiny bit of feedback.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Thanks for the help, I already have Wiretap, but I found another way. (I don't have a Windows either, a Mac) I just burned it onto a dis, it burnad as an AAC and then I converted it to AIFF. BTW kill-khan where's Benicia?
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
kill-khan

Post by kill-khan »

I never thought of that. I might try that sometime. Smart man. Benicia is in the Bay Area in California. About an hour from sacramento.
spikey

Post by spikey »

Hey How do you do that windows thing??... I cant see how to do it
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Final Cut Express HD is compatible with AIFF files only; any other file will skip during playback.
To convert the song:

1. Burn it to a disc in the original format (using iTunes)
2. Import it back from the disc (into iTunes)

Now the song will be unprotected, and in iTunes preferences, you can set the import settings to "AIFF" and convert the song to the right format.

EDIT:
Thanks for the help, I already have Wiretap, but I found another way. (I don't have a Windows either, a Mac) I just burned it onto a dis, it burnad as an AAC and then I converted it to AIFF. BTW kill-khan where's Benicia?
Sorry, didn't see that. :oops:
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

This is like what some others were saying about recording it, but just use garageband. Then export it to Itunes and its not protected.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

GarageBand converrts the files to AIFF, so there is a loss in quality.