QUICK QUESTION

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

QUICK QUESTION

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Well i am thinking of order a mic. and i want to order Audio-Techina AT835B. What else do i need? how will i connect it to the camera?
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: QUICK QUESTION

Post by Clarence »

Good choice on the microphone. The Audio-Technicas are nice.

Other than the mic, you'll need a boom or stand unless you're attaching the mic to the camera, in which case you'll need a standard sized shoe on top of the camera. You will need a 3-pin XLR input on the camera. If you do not have this, there may be an adaptor for XLR to 1/8" stereo.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

I want to connect it to the camera. where can i find that? how much does it cost?
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

There should be a mic. input jack on the side of your cam, I don't have one though 8( , In Moviemaker magazine it says that some filmmakers hard wire the external microphone to their camera, anyone have any info on how to do this?
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

You'd probably disconnect the internal mic, and connect the external mic in it's place. Might involve taking apart your camera, though. I'm lucky to have one of the Canon ZRs that has a Mic input. They stopped putting those on, to cheapen the price.
Where can you find that? How much does it cost?
Do you mean the microphone? It's around $340.
thewarmovie

Post by thewarmovie »

If it is an XLR mic and it is phantom powered, you'll need an XLR to 1/8" from http://www.beachtek.com. Or if it is not phantom powered, get a http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search
and then a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter.
"Holy Freaking' Fat Mother of Jehoshephat"
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

It can be powered off of either.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

well i have a Canon GL2 ..... somone says i need a Comprehensive Mini Male to 3-pin XLR Female Cable - 25 ft does that sound right

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... Navigation
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

No...

I'm pretty sure you can plug your mic directly into the GL2, becuase the GL2 has 3-Pin XLR inputs. BUT...if you're not using the mic for a shotgun mic, and are putting it on a boom, that's a good choice (as long as it's 3-pin XLR to 1/8" stereo)
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

I would get a Beachtek audio adapter. I'm currently saving up for a Beachtek DXA-8. (Retails for around $400.)

Check out this forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=53

I've been going here for the last couple of months to learn about audio production. I made an audio kit wish list and now I'm saving up for it. It's going cost about $1800. I only have $200 right now, but I'm not going to buy it all at the same time.