Copyright

This forum is for discussing all aspects of film soundtracks.

Moderator: Moderator Team

justin!butcher

Copyright

Post by justin!butcher »

Im sure someone has addressd this topic before but, Im close to uploading a bunch of my movies and i have used music that i havent "legaly" been authorized to. Such as, music from other soundtracks or CD's. What should i do. Can i get in trouble if i put it up??
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Copyright

Post by UFProductions »

Technically yes, but if you aren't using them to promote yourself in any way, or make a profit you should be okay. Generally: no profit = no trouble.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

Unless you plan to distribute the work to be on video shelves or festivals you are pretty much okay.
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

ok, still a little nervous but ok
redlightoncamera

Post by redlightoncamera »

how about if it goes on tv?
redlightoncamera

Post by redlightoncamera »

how about if it goes on tv?
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

If its like around here local public airways, like local access channel and stuff like that is usually not a problem. If it is something like that check with them and see if they have any rules about it.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Technically you are in violatin of copyright as soon as you synch teh music to your video. TV is definitely an issue since the broadcaster must submit a 'que sheet' to BMI/ASCAP to pay their performance license requirement for any music that is used on say the news. There is alwasy the risk when publishing to the web too. Keep in mind, their are lots of reasons that the copyright holder would come after you for a use, even if you are making $0 on the project. They may feel the use is inappropriate , in other words they may not want their music associated with the topic of your project.
Any time you use uncleared material ( audio, video, trademarks etc even newspapers and magazines) in a production you are opening yourself up to a potential lawsuit. This is one of the reasons production companies carry E&O ( errors and omissions) insurance. Generally the E&O carrier will review your finished project before writing the policy, and will want to see all the releases for anything they feel is questionable. Movie ditributors, a lot of broadcasters, and others involved will require an E&O policy in place before taking on your production for broadcast or distribution.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

How could you get the artist's permission if you want to use their song for your movie that will be in a film festival. Is there a number or something on the back of the CD you could call?
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Worse than that, you will need to contact the copyright holder, which probably ISN'T the artist. Start with the publisher/distributor of the disk.. Sony etc. in all likelihood that is who will hold the synch, mechanical performance licening you will need. They may have a special 'festival' license at reduced rates, but really popular music will still cost- often times... lots....
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands