silent films

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

crookedrose

silent films

Post by crookedrose »

Hey everybody. I uploaded some movies a friend and I have made on youtube. These movies are black and white silent comedies, sort of like Charlie Chaplin's movies. you can watch them at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/corbingolding

Check them out and tell me what you think.
Thanks.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I watched a little bit of one, they're good but: change the font, old movies never had Comic Sans, when the camera is stable for a while on a subject don't move it, better wardrobe.

its good to see old style movies though, they are still great today.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Haha nice. Yeah, I agree about the font. Watch Rob Zombie's Living Dead Girl music video for some ideas about silent film stuff (although some of it wouldn't carry over well to a real film, such as the alternating hues). If I were you I'd drop the framerate and speed the film up somewhat to make it look more like cameras then, and add some kind of faded border that makes the edges darker or lighter like you see in old sepia photos, maybe one that changes frame by frame (create a set of Photoshop files and loop them?), and probably add a bit more grain. The style is good though, and the music goes well. I loved the corny car explosion. Brilliant.
Scott_Talbot

Post by Scott_Talbot »

for the faded border bit you can also throw a bump map effect on it and take off all the setting except the spot light. very handy. (note: this works in vegas not sure about it in premiere)
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

hahaha dude i actually liked that adventure man one that was pretty well done. a little bit of work on camera movement and such would help, but the effects were well done, sound effects were pretty good too.
freed

Post by freed »

Awesome work man, glad to see instead of most film makers you've worked with historic techniques rather than up to date effects and what not.

Good fun to watch, keep up the goodwork.
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

I watched Captain Adventure and quite liked it. I don't know about those titles with the fight sounds on them though.
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

I also liked the silent film. I have a few tips though, first, Comic Sans isn't that good a font choice. Also, try to get the high shot on top of the car from an angle where light is not reflected, becasue the camera and tripod can be easily seen. Was that shot of the spinners on an RC car? Ha, nice idea, I'd look for stock footage, I'm sure there's plenty out there. Nice ending. LOL. Keep up the good work.
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

WOW!!

Nice Job! I like it alot. It seemed so oldie :)

I agree with DEDFX on changing the font... but other than that good job!
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore