Mask I made

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

puje

Mask I made

Post by puje »

Hey I made this mask out of cardboard and wire.

People who have seen it said it was creepy, but I don't know...
What do you think?
[url]http://www.bigcow.dk[/url]
[img]http://www.bigcow.dk/images/boardlogo.GIF[/img]
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Mask I made

Post by Zacatac927 »

ummmm....
looks like a cardboard cereal box inside out... no offense \

i do see where you're going with it... if you round it out a bit you'll get into the scarecrow (batman!) look
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Mask I made

Post by Mr.Anderson »

paint it, or attach some cloth or leather. Might have a whole "leatherface" kind of mask.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I was thinnking eyebrows that pointed up (the opposite of angry eyebrows) that would give it a creepier look.
Grant

Post by Grant »

i just think it looks too clean. Give it some wear and character
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

dumb. My burlap bag is scareier No jk my mask is wicked
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Whats with people on this site being all 'cost efficent' and making stuff out of cardboard?
Buy a latex mask, but if u want it the scarecrow kinda look, get an old potato bag and stick it up alot.
WHAT IS WITH THE CARDBOARD?
Hide or fight for your life?
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

rhys wrote:Whats with people on this site being all 'cost efficent' and making stuff out of cardboard?
Buy a latex mask, but if u want it the scarecrow kinda look, get an old potato bag and stick it up alot.
rhys,...

WHATS WITH THE FRIGGIN BLOOD AND FIGHTING??!!!!
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

I like blood, and i like fighting. Movies should be an escape from this 'world' and we should have the 90 mins of entertainment and things we cant legally or possibly do, so i enjoy the gore and the fighting.
Djokicko

Post by Djokicko »

Well it doesn’t look scary at least to me you look more like a transformer :lol: .Make the eyeholes bigger and they should be the same size makes it look more freaky and make the top more oval not so plane.
WHATS WITH THE FRIGGIN BLOOD AND FIGHTING??!!!!
Ou i think this is a SNAP if i am not mistaken :D
[url=http://www.mfbb.net/mongoloidbitche/mongoloidbitche.html][img]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6712/mbgif2mq0.gif[/img][/url]
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

I kinda like it, in fact; it has that "The Man in the Iron Mask" look; of course, too clean. and to boxy. what would be cool is mixing it with metal, burlap and leather, so it gets really medieval looking...

rhys-> it's an amateur/low budget movie community. that's why all the people here try to be "cost efficient". with most movies being under 500$(except those with 2000$ uniform), most of us won't want to pay 100$ for a latex mask that sometimes look even faker than cost effective masks. (latex made to look like metal looks fake and costs more than just folding and cutting real sheet metal, just for an example.)
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

rhys wrote:Whats with people on this site being all 'cost efficent' and making stuff out of cardboard?
Ain't nothing wrong with being cost efficient. Would it be cost efficient to pay $20 for a DVD at this place when you can get the same one for $10 at the other place?

If you say you would rather pay $20 I'm gonna reach through this screen and ring yer neck dude lol
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Do what I said about the eyebrows in pencil, if you don't like it then erase it (boxy eyebrows)

make the eyeholes a little bit bigger and do something with that nose slot...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Stucco and bake it. That'll have an interesting look.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Would it be cost efficient to pay $20 for a DVD at this place when you can get the same one for $10 at the other place?
It could be, if the place with the $10 DVD was 2000 miles away
but were talking about masks not movies, and u dont need to pay $100 (you could make ur own latex mask?), but why is everyone using cardboard?
As i said before, try and copy the resident evil 4 game box, cos that kinda looks like it.
The mask u made is too fake, a little kid would think its awesome, and that they look like a spaceman.
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

making a latex mask takes a lot of time and a lot of material. For cardboard and wire that looks cool, add some papier mache for some effects or skin and paint it.

Rhys have you seen Lost In Translation?
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

rhys wrote:
Would it be cost efficient to pay $20 for a DVD at this place when you can get the same one for $10 at the other place?
It could be, if the place with the $10 DVD was 2000 miles away
but were talking about masks not movies, and u dont need to pay $100 (you could make ur own latex mask?), but why is everyone using cardboard?
As i said before, try and copy the resident evil 4 game box, cos that kinda looks like it.
The mask u made is too fake, a little kid would think its awesome, and that they look like a spaceman.
weeell, for a latex mask that doesn't look like cr**(like most masks sold at walmart), you need to buy it from a professional artist which are most of the times at least 75$ (go to erich lubatti's website for an idea of what I'm talking about). And making a latex mask when you are amateur is cost efficients only if you need many copies of the same mask. (a full head life cast will cost you about 30$ to do if you don't mess it up (and when you don't have experience with alginate, plaster, etc., you will trash at least 1 try in most cases.), and then you need to buy the clay; oil based clay is the best, specially the one buy monster makers (roma plastilina has noxious sulfur vapors when heated to make it more malleable). for a full head mask, you'll need about 20 pounds of clay which will cost you 50$, plus the ultracal 30 and burlap to make the mold, about 50 pounds of the stuff, which will cost you 30$, and you also need the latex. for a big mask, you'll be surprised at the amount of liquid latex you'll need; plus, for a decent mask, you'll need to "skin" the latex, slushing it around won't do a great job, the walls won't be consistent in thickness. so to skin the latex, you need to completely fill up your mold and wait until a even skin has formed on your mold before emptying the residual latex; more than 1 gallon of latex to do that. expect to buy around 60$ of latex. and be sure you'll trash at least 1 pull, because of air bubbles and plaster imbedded in the latex. sooo it comes to 170$ for a full head mask. so it'll be cost efficient only if you need many pulls (so you'll use the residual latex from the skinning, and at the end, with 10 pulls, it will come at 17$ the mask.)

plus, you need a good deal of talent to sculpt in a realistic way.

soooo latex masks aren't cost effective, and you should use them only when you need something organical. (a monster, zombie, alien, demon or something like that.)t

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

But like, couldnt u just chuck some liquid latex on ur face and let it drip down so it looks like ur the mud man? Then paint it black? I dunno, i dont make masks, they all seem a little childish to me (no offence). The only masks that arent like little kids ones are good ones like the one from that guys vampire movie, and the potato sack on there head (like on the resident evil 4 game), also the criminals mask thing, and the little clear plastic ones that look like make up u get (like from jawbreaker). The rest are just completely stupid and lame.
It would be scarier to have eye shadow on with the vader eye contacts, and a freaky hair-do, and a nice actor who hasnt been in the sun for ages. (i would look awesome like that). Ill make a pic to make u understand.
Heres the site to my random pic: http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/ ... 1/Eyes.jpg
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Okay, assuming the masked person is some kind of killer or criminal (in a story)...

Why would he go through the trouble of making or buying a latex mask? A cardboard mask is something anyone could make in his basement. Think about the character. That mask isn't scary by itself, because it's all about who's wearing it. A killer could wear a smiley face mask, and be stabbing someone, and all the sudden that mask wouldn't seem so friendly.

The mask you made looks very raw and unfinished, which is good.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Latex masks are childish but plastic masks and a potato sack bag over your head isn't? Ummm..........

Liquid latex takes a long time to dry unless you put it on your skin thin, also you have no experience with casting latex and mold so thats out of the question.

Just do what your doing.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Yeah, but the smily face murder would be awesome, because everyone knows and loves the smily face, and to see it kill someone scares the hell out of u.
Potato sack over the head.... this is what i ment: http://img.gamekult.com/photos/00/00/41 ... 9006_2.jpg
Can u give us more information? Like is he a killer? Or is he a guy who cant show his face cos of a phobia or disease?
More info please. Seriously i dont like that mask much.
Zac
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Zac »

^ Mmm, looks like a nice charming game, ( I WANT IT!). any way now that i think about it, a smiley faced mask would be pretty good. and as rhys said i dont like the mask, if you made it look less like card-board it could be alright, maybe a little blood splatter too .and i also like the potato sack in the resident evil game, but then it wouldnt be original, but then again, nothing is.
I like you, when the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

rhys wrote:Yeah, but the smily face murder would be awesome, because everyone knows and loves the smily face, and to see it kill someone scares the hell out of u.
Potato sack over the head.... this is what i ment: http://img.gamekult.com/photos/00/00/41 ... 9006_2.jpg
Can u give us more information? Like is he a killer? Or is he a guy who cant show his face cos of a phobia or disease?
More info please. Seriously i dont like that mask much.
and after that, you say latex mask are childish? Michael Myiers wore a white painted captain kirk latex mask in halloween, and he's still quite a creepy guy, even more than if he hadn't a mask!

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Yeah, but clearly this guy wants a mask in his movie, either to cover up the beaty or trash underneath, or merely because he does not know how to film psychopathic people, or because his just bored. Anyway, he made the mask, and i didnt like it, it doesnt matter. All i say is to cut the eye holes bigger, so u cant see the eye lids but as much of the eye as possible.
dmosher

Post by dmosher »

I see the look your going for, just needs some adjustments. if your good with painting, give it a rusted/silver sheen and go for the old sheet metal look, or chunk it up and make it look like flesh sheets (cover it in pieces of latex). Just brush it up a little and it should work for what your doing. I think we sometimes forget that some of us are working with a small budget and some are just starting out with no budget at all.
D
You'll eat it and you'll like it.. or you'll starve!