TimeCode?

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

MovieMaker

TimeCode?

Post by MovieMaker »

Hey,

On the special Effects Page you can download a timecode

I just wanted to know what does it do and what do you need it for?
thanks
Parallax

Post by Parallax »

why the hell would you want to download a time code? how would you possibly use it...
Grant

Post by Grant »

maybe just for a visual effect for a certain scene?
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

A time code is just a sort of time keeping code. It could count by frames, seconds, ect. It works well when you want something like a timer on a bomb or something. I've also used one for a security camera before. But I used the AE one.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

You only really need one if you're filming and recording sound differently to synchronize the two together. That is why those clapperboards have the timecode on them, the clapping noise helps to synchronize the two together.
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

i use seperate sound and video systems and all i use is a clapperboard marked with the scene, shot number and take. works perfectly. and if you do want to use a timecode theres an effect that does it in after effects (much more useful)
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Parallax wrote:why the hell would you want to download a time code? how would you possibly use it...
Don't be so repetitive. You posted the exact point of what this thread was asking. That was just a useless spam post :roll:

You can use the time code for numours things. Bombs, timers, countdowns, whatever you want. The real thing is not what it's for , but what you can do with it. Be creative, and save the file. You never know when you'll need it.
Sigs suck a**.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

The 'timecode' clip in the FX section was donated by a forum member in response to a post my me (i think?). I wanted an easy way of adding a counter to the corner of my draft films for review purposes. This was a handy way of branding the film as a draft and also gave you a reference point to write down when I was reviewing stuff on the TV downstairs.

You don't need it, but might be useful if you want to use a similar process.
Parallax

Post by Parallax »

hehe uh oh the spam police is in town... i didnt know this forum was so strict... however the contradictory do good'er in this situation doesn't realise the own irony of his good duty.

i can imagine people would use a timecode for a bomb or something but why oh why would you use one for your video sync. its utterly rediculous timecodes are there so you can find them on your media. which is why you make timecode sheets and etc for batch processing.

besides even the most simple programs can allow you to generate timecodes and what not... oh well i guess people can find a use for anything.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Well, the overall point is theres no one specific thing to say it's "For". What you should do, is just keep it somewhere where you put stockfootage or something, and let it sit basiclly until sometime in the future you may be doing a film, "Damn, I need a countdown!" "Oh wait, I got one ! Nevermind! " It's really a concept of just saving what you can, even if it will never turn up.
Sigs suck a**.
Parallax

Post by Parallax »

thats unacceptable... what if you need a different time, what if you need one to go for 5 minutes thats alot to download. what if you need a different font what if you need it on a diferent time base... i dont think it is useful at all, it limits your creativity your stuck with one sort of time... luckily bombs are only shown when theres like 10 seconds left so i guess all you can use it for is bombs... but if you have to put a bomb in your movie i guess you cant be that creative anyway.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Parallax wrote:thats unacceptable...
Well dont use it then.
Skitz-O-Phrenia

Post by Skitz-O-Phrenia »

I dont get what the big deal is... This site is awesome and they try and have as much stuff to help film makers as possible...what is wrong with that? instead of being so negative just think, "hey thats cool they are helping so much" and if you arent going to use it, DONT
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

Yea, just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to go around bashing it. And please, explain why using a bomb is so uncreative. I just don't get why that would be uncreative.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Because something is there doesn't mean you have to use it.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Adam wrote:
Parallax wrote:thats unacceptable...
Well dont use it then.
Exactly. It saves work for some people, and most people if they need it they WILL go out of their way to wait and download it. Seesh.

Like the others said, don't go bashing something that dosn't reqiure bashing. If you don't like something, ignore it. Why even post otherwise?

It's not that a bomb is uncreative. I never said that. A bomb is just a common idea that pops into mind when having a countdown for a film. Theres plenty of things you can use it for, who knows? If you got space, keep it on your harddrive... you never know. The more resources you have, the better.
Sigs suck a**.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Parallax, the timecode isn't meant to be something you put into your film as a special effect. It is for development and review purposes. It doesn't matter what size or font it is. If you haven't got a use for it then don't use it !!