HELP!! Replacing Video on A TV Screen

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

GrizzlyAdams

HELP!! Replacing Video on A TV Screen

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

I'm doing a music video for a band I know and I have a part where a girl is watching TV but instead of whats on that TV I want to put someother video I recorded onto the TV screen. How do I accomplish this effect? Can I do this in After Effects? Please Help Me it would be most appreciated! Thank you.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: HELP!! Replacing Video on A TV Screen

Post by UFProductions »

I would cover the screen of the TV with green material, poster paper for example. Then in post simply greenscreen in the footage you want. Either that or put the footage you want on a DVD and play it while you film.
Adam

Post by Adam »

If you film a tv screen directly you might get horizontal bands across the screen.
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

yes yes you can do this in AE!!! it is a motion tracking matte. Look it up it works I did it once with a computer screen. In a DVD that came with my AE they showed this effect in a total training episode. dont know if you have this but it came with mine. look for motion tracking or track matting. its pretty easy make sure you align it up good. ill explain more if you cant find it
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

Well I shot it already at an angle not directly. Well I'll try finding tutorials on how to do the Motion tracking or Track matte, but you dont know how to do it right?
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

Otay I know how just lazy :).

Here we go.After Effects
1st) get video with the tv (no green screen needed) below the footage going in the tv
2nd) on the blank tv footage clkick animate track motion( this brings up a dialogue box)
3rd) click perspective corner out of the track type roll down menu
4th) drag just in side of the points to the inside corners of your t.v. footage.
5th) click analyze after all of the points are in accurate positions. ( watch the analayzing process to make sure it doesnt get thrown off by a hand or by something else make sure the tv is clearly shown no objects hiding it....otherwise more work involved and i know how yall hate that).
6th) make sure you like every track that it has done then click apply make sure target track is set to the 2nd video clip the one going on the tv

Hope this helps PM me for more info!!!
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

I just got another idea instead of what I just filmed. I dont know because I filmed next to her and I zoomed in slowly so it might be a little tedious. But I would like to do this too, how about theres a black screen and then there's a small object and it as zooms into the screen slowly, it's a TV with all the footage I put in it. By the way thanks for the info I'll try it tonight. Thanks alot you guys!

Dave
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

your welcome! The t.v. with the footage on it try to find either a picture of a tv and just do what i told u to it but first make it small then come closer. this is done with two key frames one small then 2 BIG! If not using a picture of a tv take one and take it into to photoshop or paint make it alpha or green screen and then mask it out on your black background.

hope this helps also . I might not understand what you are talking about

Directordude
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

Ya you understood perfectly! Well I dont have Photoshop but maybe Paint might work.
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

Also I forgot to add was that I tried the procedures you gave me but it didn't really follow into my AE program. I have After Effects 6.5 Pro maybe that's problem because it was a hassle following the steps correctly. I know how to get into Track Motion but I have a problem getting the video onto the place I want to put it in.
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

Just matte it in in Adobe Premiere, in a separate video track. You don't need After Effects or anything.
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

what might be confusing is that Adobe changed the menues around from my 6.0 to your 6.5. AIM me if you have Aim and Ill walk you through it if I can!!. Pm me and ill send you my AIM!
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

Thanks for the input I'll try doing the Premiere one. But how will I make the image zoom in with a black background in Premiere?

Dave
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

Ok I tried the premiere thing it could work if I do it correctly but I want the TV picture to slowly zoom in on the screen from a tiny object to a large object. How to do I this effect in Premiere? Please at least we're getting somewhere with this.
"Look's Like She Cancelled Her Subscription to Life"-Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

Well I tried doing the effect on AE and it worked in a way. I masked the footage behind the TV image I put on a black background and it worked using blending mode. Just have to figure out the zoom in effect.
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

a thats the simplest part!!!

take your layers all three four five......whatever select them all by ctrl+clicking or shift+clicking. after you get them all selected open one of the layers go to transform>size( or scale). after selecting scale go to the beginning and shrink it by grabbing the slider next to it and making it smaller. then go to the end of your clip wen you want it to be full size. take the scroller there and make it big to the size you want it to be.
this should work again AIM me!!! with problems ill walk u through it.
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

sounds easy, I'm going to get started on it. I sent you the private message of my AIM address but you didn't reply, also you haven't even signed on. Please if you can sign on.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Try video options, then motion and make that TV clip small in the end and start point.
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

we are not using premiere i dont think!!!
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

No we're not, AE is easier for me to use.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

well excuuuuuuuuuussssse meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

:) ha ha
GrizzlyAdams

Post by GrizzlyAdams »

Hey Directordude, what time do you sign on to AIM?? You havent signed on for a while.

Dave
Radiate
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Radiate »

Mess around with the keyframes for size and position.
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
-Isaiah 40:28
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

make sure you use a proper perspecive plugin to do the scaling or else it will just look like a cheap zoom which looks very unatural and cg.

if you just leave the tv off it should be nice and black... placing small white X's made with tape on each corner of the screen you can track each X of the corner and use them to transform video footage or whatever in the same perspective... with a higher than normal matte with some feather it could look totally real...
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]