"Code of Dissolution" Teaser Trailer

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

think it's because no one knows what dissolution means.
Well first of all the name dissolution i think is quite poor, most people associate that with er its obvious definition, 'to dissolve' (in effect) tho it can refer to meanings that are more destructive. However, the biggest prob is of course, the length, and the number of syllables, (typos in there probably lol)
I told ya! lol!
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Title is great, reminds me of a Dan Brown title. Finally got around to watching the trailer, and I regret I hadn't sooner. Everything looks very well done, especially well written from what I can tell. First pic in the set looks a bit like Ritchie Gecko in From Dusk Till Dawn.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Lawriejaffa wrote: Well first of all the name dissolution i think is quite poor, most people associate that with er its obvious definition, 'to dissolve' (in effect) tho it can refer to meanings that are more destructive. However, the biggest prob is of course, the length, and the number of syllables, (typos in there probably lol)

Code of Dissolution, (6) hardly flies of the tongue, you might want to consider having 1 word, with more impact that gets more to the point, that you are doing a 'techno thriller'

Just of the top of my head, id consider a name like, 'Cipher' something that reflects the edge of 'cool' that really, techno thrillers usually try to utilise, something easy to read.
First of all this movie is about 1/4 computers and the rest thrillerish action, so having a name like "Cipher" would just plain be stupid ridiculous, as if this movie was like "The Matrix".
Lawriejaffa wrote: As for the trailer itself, the 'motion picture association approved' i really wonder why people add these, unless it has been approved, it just makes a trailer look ridiculous. (fine for a trailer parody see 1812) but you don't do this, so don't cheapen your film trailer by using it.

For the first 28 seconds, the trailer is quite professional, it cuts fast in pace, the sound is alright, it adds the atmosphere of a techno thriller (hence identifying its genre also.)(note with the I AM KING ltd, if it is a limited company, thats fine, if not then don't put it in...)
I added the approved message because I like it, and it is my film. I AM KING LTD. is another friends "made up" company (a lot of amateurs make up a mark for their films) my friend has and he is helping.
Lawriejaffa wrote: Bear in mind also to use music outwith your legal copyright er right, to do so (im not presuming you haven't but so many do here!)

In any case, your trailre is NOT a teaser, it is a trailer (you might have intended to make a teaser but this has not happened ;)

As another tip in general, be careful, if you are that kind of nerdy chap who has lots of nerdy looking friends, for if you use them primarily you may end up having a film that looks more like a homevideo of the college chess tournament than a feature ;) (be wary to use people that arent all young, and arent of a same look)
1.u haven't been here long enough to know that lots of people here use copywritten music.

2. Note the 1st post as I quote "The Teaser does reveal a little bit for a teaser but not too much (I like it that way)."

3. As for my nerdy friends, oh well. I don't intend to take this film to any festivals, It's just something we're doing to have a blast this summer. Besides I did write my main character up as a nerd.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

I like it! I think it IS a teaser because you don't know who is coming after the main character. It's like a cliff hanger.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

I think it was arranged very nicely. The title is awesome, to just see it, and know nothing of the movies, leaves loads to the imagination. It's kind of an attractive title, its what made me click this thread! lol! but anyways, I think it's coming a long well, and best of luck!
Spartan_Monkey

Post by Spartan_Monkey »

I cant download the trailer right now (cause im on a school computer) , but the screens look good and I like the plot. I want to see this.
Ewwwww....... is that a bit of Covenant on my helmet?
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Lawriejaffa wrote:Rightie!

Well first of all the name dissolution i think is quite poor, most people associate that with er its obvious definition, 'to dissolve' (in effect) tho it can refer to meanings that are more destructive. However, the biggest prob is of course, the length, and the number of syllables, (typos in there probably lol)
First of all, you're bashing on grammar errors, for example a certain amount of syllables and length. This creates a problem with yourself when you type "typos in there probably lol" Who needs grammar and spelling corrections now? If you're taking the time to bash someone's film, take the time to do it correctly.

Next of course is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the title. Code of Dissolution is very original and is a near perfect title to the film. If you knew the plot of the film, then of course I might accept your ''criticism"
Code of Dissolution, (6) hardly flies of the tongue, you might want to consider having 1 word, with more impact that gets more to the point, that you are doing a 'techno thriller'

Just of the top of my head, id consider a name like, 'Cipher' something that reflects the edge of 'cool' that really, techno thrillers usually try to utilise, something easy to read.
Cipher?! The title is absolutely fine, deal with it and I say again. You don't know the plot, so naturally you shouldn't be coming up with titles for the film.
As for the trailer itself, the 'motion picture association approved' i really wonder why people add these, unless it has been approved, it just makes a trailer look ridiculous. (fine for a trailer parody see 1812) but you don't do this, so don't cheapen your film trailer by using it.
Looks ridiculous?! It's an independent/amatuer film, which for that matter. Is a low budget film in attempt to look AS PROFFESSIONAL AS POSSIBLE! At all costs. If anything, the MPAA trailer aproval makes it look more cool. Oh, and 1812 is not a parody, you just insulted John too.
For the first 28 seconds, the trailer is quite professional, it cuts fast in pace, the sound is alright, it adds the atmosphere of a techno thriller (hence identifying its genre also.)(note with the I AM KING ltd, if it is a limited company, thats fine, if not then don't put it in...)
Whatever you do, DO NOT BE DISSING MY COMPANY! Legit or not, it's still awesome. Again, looking for proffessionalism is amatuerism. He can put it in if he wants.
'I unintentionally hacked into someones computer' this is not very convincing, and bear in mind the suspension of disbelief in the audience only works if you convince them your fiction is 'reality'
Of course your character may say that line for any reason in the film, but in the trailer, it does raise an eyebrow, that your film cannot afford.

Raising an eyebrow is a sign of interest. And interest is always good in the film industry. Whether it be good or bad. Mel Gibson tripled his money on The Passion with mere "interest".
Howard Emerson graphics et all, are not too bad, (a little artificial those graphic effects of the page, but entirely acceptable but very 'television' in style...
Now you're bashing the television industry? Television is golden, I bet you watch over 4 hours of it a day.
Now back into footage, our hitman looks great lightwise but the recoil when he fires, is way way over the top. So much so, that not only gun afficiandos will recognise this...
K, I spell checked this and still have no idea what you mean, could you possibly rephrase?
The news footage sequence is visually quite impressive, but your performer obviously has not had enough time to go over his lines, for his eyes move about, (this makes the news section look amatuerish which you can ill afford) corrected simply by having your news guy keep looking straight.
I'd like to see a news cast when a reporter does not look at his or her notes. Oh, and ''amatuerish'' isn't a word.
The rest of the trailer runs pretty well, and is charming enough but, your ending, where is your link to your site? your contacts. for example.
Not everyone is always trying to plug their site, I give kudos to Kenny. It's bloody annoying after a while.
Coming Soon (its there sure but)
///
Coming Soon

K Entertainment
www.dafadsasd.com
///
I don't understand any of this.
Bear in mind also to use music outwith your legal copyright er right, to do so (im not presuming you haven't but so many do here!)
Not over thirty seconds. Not illegal. Oh, and let's see a film you've made with an original score, and an original composer that doesn't sound so terriblly techno, I'd puke.
In any case, your trailre is NOT a teaser, it is a trailer (you might have intended to make a teaser but this has not happened ;)
This is NOT true, since when are you the one who decides what's what? It is a teaser.
As another tip in general, be careful, if you are that kind of nerdy chap who has lots of nerdy looking friends, for if you use them primarily you may end up having a film that looks more like a homevideo of the college chess tournament than a feature ;) (be wary to use people that arent all young, and arent of a same look)
K, it was far stretched constructive criticism until this point. You're "general" tip is not helping him filmmaking wise at all. First off, I am the main character, I am a filmaker, and I am a nerd. I know it, I accept it and realize my life is so much better spent in the books and in the film getting somewhere in life, as apposed to playing basketball or smoking doobies. I for one, would like to see a picture of you, Mr. Cool. How nerdy are you? I'm betting far more nerdy than the cast of nerds in the homevideo of the college chess tournament.
Good luck though, cant wait to see it finished :)
Sorry to be a jerk. I'll forgive you because you're new, and you don't know things.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Kentertainment,

Like i say, i was giving you feedback, this is why you posted it here no? Sure your doing it for fun? well are you expecting irrelevant fun feedback? of course not, but serious feedback...

The industry is really hard, and horrible, so its important to be straight to the point.

So sure, i mean you get uppety about a few things i say, and heck its only my opinion, but you should be wary of your counters to my suggestions. Ie. 'Hey its okay its just for fun etc' that's no defence to good criticisim just an excuse for amatuerishness, and if that was the case, you should perhaps have stated in your first post 'oh btw i dont want any real criticism, cos this is just for fun...'

Anyway, it is illegal to use the approved msg basically (when it comes down to it) its like giving my film fake uk certification,

yeah a lot of amatuers make fake production companies, in fact there are easy 'legal' ways to do it, that ill put in my tutorial posts, but BE WARNED, giving yourself that fake LTD at the end of it, is a serious no no. You are saying you are a limited company!!!

I haven't been here long enough? to know whether people use copyright music a lot? Are you kidding? All anyone needs is ears man... so excuse me if i aint a member of the butter cup gang that has special knowledge of these things, but i think.... they do, and it was worth mentioning in case you had, why its better to try and get pd music, or original.

You might like your 'teaser' to reveal a lot, but a teaser technically doesn't, hence you made a trailer, its not bad or anything, its just clarifying it. If i make a car with wings and that flies (cos i like it that way....) does it still make it a car etc.

The whole nerdy friends thing (which i have, tho i cast to avoid putting too many similar folk in together, is a suggestion about casting in general.

/////////

You say your not taking it to festivals etc, well why not? What i say is BE AMBITIOUS, if you are serious enough to spend time making it, and heck it takes TOO LONG even to make cr**, for it to be just 'fun' or irrelevant. So its OBVIOUS some effort is going into it, so just be wary of things that are professional, that you can fix. If you meet criticism, why hide and claim oh its okay its just a laugh... when professionally it would actually be easy for you to fix.

PS - 1/4 about computers is more than enuf for what one normally identifies as a techno thriller, hence techno names in marketing are common such as things like cipher - (to decipher, codes etc) rather than 'code of dissolving' (really more suitable for a novel isnt it? if that)

Perhaps my criticism sounds harsh, but its just my opinion (a confident one at that) so take it or leave it, if you want any help though I am at your disposal, and i do really think that your film could end up being pretty cool.
But you gotta play it straight hehe.

////////

Gyro... Just read your post, all my films have original music or music that is legal, anyone can do it, in my tutorial im gonna write a section on that, and 1812 - is a pastiche parody im pretty sure of that, and really, your just being rather juvenile.

I work for a registered limited media company in Scotland, primarily in marketing and sometimes when im lucky, in the form of directing, our business works with other amatuer film makers pushing them to their limits, and we work in liason with some local government bodies for support etc.
I sincerly believe amatuer film makers do not exist, there is no such thing. There are film-makers, and however good, when you make a film, you are a film-maker. So with little effort, you can make yourself a class, serious, and legal act.

If you want Gryo, to moan like the friend u are for K (nothing wrong with that) then check my film in the members thread, or my tutorial in the guides section. But don't undersell yourself here to me with cheap facetiousness.

PPS - Gyro? not over 30 seconds makes it legal?!? Sure kid...
Regards to syllables for the title too Gyro? grammer errors? Spelling errors? i said no such thing, i referred in regards to its length for sake of marketing, for a film belong to the techno thriller genre...
Picking at my words for typos too is soooo totally pathetic i'm not even gonna start there...
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Lawriejaffa wrote: PS - 1/4 about computers is more than enuf for what one normally identifies as a techno thriller, hence techno names in marketing are common such as things like cipher - (to decipher, codes etc) rather than 'code of dissolving' (really more suitable for a novel isnt it? if that)
Your definition is backwards, cipher is to encrypt data or words, decipher is to solve them; they are not interchangeable. And your right, there are no successful movies that are adapted from novels while keeping the original titles, at least I'm pretty sure there isn't... And as far as the whole syllables things goes:

Lord Of the Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - (11 Syllables)
Lord Of the Rings: The Two Towers - (8 Syllables)
Lord Of the Rings: The Return of The King - (9 Syllables)

Total Worldwide Profits - ~6 Billion Dollars (Wikipedia)

At about $214,000,000 per syllable, I think they made out pretty good for a series of movies with such long names, using the titles of the novels they were adapted from.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Haha! Awesome UFProductions. Give me the link to your film Lawriejaffa and I'll check it out. Then I'll comment afterwards. Oh, and as far as being juvenile, I'm not the one who makes a career out of pushing little kids around.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

I think you make a job of making yourselve look like a victim!?! sheesh, i gave an opinion cos ur thread wanted feedback, lol take it and leave it, but don't go chasing and moaning about it!

I suggested Cipher as an example, of the short titles that technothrillers often have in terms of marketing, hence i gave that as an example.

Decipher, cipher etc, like i say in my reply, it was just an example of the titles these films often have, (even names like hackers etc.) This is based on marketing research not on a title that sounds cool or imaginative.

Now at no point do i suggest that too mamy syllables in a film title means it fails commercially = IN EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE, i say it is unattractive for the technothriller, which this film clearly is.

While citing your lord of the rings figures you missed this point, UEP, so i want you to quote a more than a 1 or 2 of the mass of technothrillers that have titles as long as the Lord of the Rings? Can you do that?

No of course not.

Guys, you posted your trailer.... in a forum for feedback, you get it? you can disagree with what you hear, but just cos ur ego's get ruffled, thats no reason to argue over and over, or to try and insinuate that im bullying etc.

If you want, i can give you advice from what i know, from the industry (not enormous but a little) on how to market your film (you could take it and leave it) that i offer, but i won't accept your attempt to make others see me as being some old guy bully lol.

Anyway, moderators will end up eating this thread if we go off topic squabbling, and i honestly have given ur trailer my opinion, so that i feel should be enough.

I have tutorials here btw

http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7892
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

What the heck is a technothriller?!?! You keep saying that! I don't know what that is!
@seanbagley
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

There IS such thing as an Amateur Filmmaker, it's somebody who makes films as a pastime/hobby/for fun rather than as a profession. Hence the the title of this site "Crazy amatuer filmmaking..." That's what this is about.

Gyro, I looked technothriller up in Wikipedia:

"Techno-thrillers are a hybrid genre, drawing subject matter generally from spy thrillers, war novels, and science fiction. They include a disproportionate amount (relative to other genres) of technical detail on its subject matter; only science fiction tends towards a comparable level of supporting detail on the technical side. The inner workings of technology and the mechanics of various disciplines (espionage, martial arts, politics) are thoroughly explored, and the plot often turns on the particulars of that exploration. They are often criticised for overwhelming the human characters with machinery.
Techno-thrillers tend to have a broad scope in the narrative, and can often be regarded as contemporary speculative fiction—world wars are a common topic—and techno-thrillers often overlap, as far as the genre goes, with near-future science fiction. To the extent that technology is now a dominant aspect of modern global culture, most modern thrillers are 'techno-thrillers', and the genre is somewhat diffuse."
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Clarence wrote:There IS such thing as an Amateur Filmmaker, it's somebody who makes films as a pastime/hobby/for fun rather than as a profession. Hence the the title of this site "Crazy amatuer filmmaking..." That's what this is about.
Yeah, that's how I am doing this movie....for fun. It's summer, generally my friends and I will get bored so we're making this for fun. I will in fact be making a 20 minute short for a film festival around Christmas.

Anywho, thanks for all the comments so far. Any other comments would be appreciated.

As for the technothriller, I'd say yeah it probably is in that genre but I'm still going to say it's action/suspense because I like that better. Technothriller sounds too "Futuristic".
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well then 'peace in our time' as the often underated chamberlain said,

Yeah well look, I want to come back to your film again, and talk constructively about it.

The things i said, that i criticised are my opinions, but i should add, that what i didnt criticise was stuff i thought looked cool. I can tell for example by the choice of music, the style and cut of the trailer, that there is some sophistication here.

That is why i bit hard on issues with cast, performance etc, and even the title but bear in mind this first of all.

The issue of the title is totally irrelevant at this point, titles are a marketing device, and with films that are made it is business, distributers etc that decide these things most usually (not us 'artists')

As for the production, sure i paint my points bluntly but there is enormous potential in that work i think as well, which i think is worth providing a detailed critique to assist.

You understand i am a cynic, and when i first developed films when i was 16 i got eaten alive, i really did, in fact once i got told to go home because I couldnt recite the 180degree rule lol (deserved but i was younger haha)

Anyway to cut a long story short, my point is this, i think you are quite 'serious' about making this film, and i think it looks promising enough to be 'seriously good' So sure you are doing your film for fun, but your not wanting it to be sloppy or amatuer, you want it to look as good as you can.
so consider what i say before, as a guy who was suggesting what he was with the best of intentions, not as some guy who just wanted to ridicule your hard efforts.

And to finish, i say there are no amatuer film makers, as a complement, for there is a psychology among film-makers who are starting out, that they are not real directors? not real film-makers...

I say to you of Kentertainment etc, that you are real film-makers, why? cos you are making films, don't hide behind any amatuer or fun label, just make the damn finest film u can.

The winner of the international entry of the NYC directors festival, was a fellow director from my country who used ONLY a camcorder, no other equipment. Just a camcorder? No more than what you guys have, if he can do that, skies the limit for you guys.
So take my criticism as good intention, cos with redressing, your movie i think, can be ;) beautiful
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

lawriejaffa wrote: While citing your lord of the rings figures you missed this point, UEP, so i want you to quote a more than a 1 or 2 of the mass of technothrillers that have titles as long as the Lord of the Rings? Can you do that?

No of course not.

The Manchurian Candidate - ( 8 Syllables)
The Hunt For Red October - (7 Syllables)
Clear and Present Danger - (6 Syllables)
The Sum of All Fears - (5 Syllables)

Pow, bitc h.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Posts are getting too long!

And a technothriller, just read a Tom Clancy novel.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

I'm going to side with Lawriejaffa on this. His criticism was in no way harsh, and in fact, was constructive. Get over your ego, and listen to what others have to say. If you post a film, you will get positive and negative feedback. Use both to your advantage. Suck it up and deal with it.

I'm sick of the "it's just for fun" or "what do you expect, we're amateurs" excuses. If it is just for fun, then why would you show it to people who may do this for more than just fun? Maybe my logic is flawed, but everything Lawriejaffa said made perfect sense.
Erm... yeah...
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

BrownCowStudios wrote:I'm sick of the "it's just for fun" or "what do you expect, we're amateurs" excuses. If it is just for fun, then why would you show it to people who may do this for more than just fun?
Yes, I admit I am well into making this film, because I want to, and I’d like to be in a filmmaking profession someday. I make films because it’s what I like to do. People say “Pick a profession that you enjoy doing and can have fun with.â€
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

//EDITED

Yup regarding titles UEP, Those u quote are books, book titles, all of them major best sellers, so you can understand why these films that were adapted from these famous books, kept the same names.

But these are book adaptions comrade, if you find a technothriller, made as a film full stop, nominally their titles are short simply because it is 'better' in terms of marketing than a longer title. Note, its a general marketing rule for that genre, but people can go against it, reinvent it whatever, but a short name, was in my original suggestion, an improvement over what sounds more like a book adaption title. In fact a chap said it sounded like a dan brown title, (not the msg u want your film to put across for this upbeat fast paced techno thriller etc.

But this argument about UP makes out like im really trying to force Code of Dissolution to change its name, i aint, but i will evidentially support the reason in marketing why most techno thrillers (again not famous book adaptions) have short straight to the point names. It was 'advice' to help improve the marketability of their film... (advice they could take or leave)

Yeah Kentertainment im not out for some blood to inflate my ego, my advice was just that, i mean look, i have a feeling im gonna get b**ch munched for all time now, http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7888

lol a little provacative based on this recent thread eh... mr gyro, wouldn't you say? lol

Anyway peace brothers
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

I simply disagree that a movie's title needs to be a monosyllabic cudgel to the head for it to be memorable to the public. While the trend may be for short titles in the techno-thriller subgenre, I don't consider it a necessary element for a successful production. The fact of the matter is the whole techno-thriller trend has it's roots in fictional novel work, as do most genres in movies today, and saying that movie titles and novel titles are unrelated is just short-sighted. In any case, I think I have contributed far too much in lowering the standard of this topic, and heading it towards a deep set flame-war, I'm willing to drop it if you are, Lawriejaffa. The film looks great Kentertainment, I look forward to it's impending release.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Sure UFP, well i think the tone of this topic has been compromised beyond anything u said, (and is being compromised in my own films topic thread) for the stupidities spawned in this one.

I was never arguing with you UEP, you were debating like a gentleman, and i hope you understand that i was not stating my opinion of the market, but just what pretty much is the case, i like you wish for creativity over market conformity.

There is nothing to drop as far as im concerned UFP, i respected your opinion, your zeal for creativity over marketing rigidity is to your credit not your detriment, and i never took anything personally, (for you my friend there was and is no reason for you to do so either.)

The film industry is an art that can only exist due to the cruelty of market forces, and it is those, sculpured by marketers that form the products the public can identify. Techno-Thrillers hence, not based on books (that are so famous they can sell them themselves) often go with short but zesty titles that can be marketed clearly.

Hackers for example, easy -

But are these good? No of course not, its cr**, but its often how GI public will understand these films. Where as Code of Dissolution, could relate to anything. (it could be a drama, even a war movie - featuring a code) or a spy thriller.

Marketing i dont think, is creative, its heartless and cynical, but vital, but my suggestion was just that, off the top of my head, what i was saying basically was the need for Kentertainment etc, to think of it in those terms.

Anyway im all done in this post, Im annoyed it went to this extent guys, (Gyro, Kentertainment) but if theres anything i can do to help, let me know, I won't be posting in this thread now, ive said all ive to say.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I don't really think the name of a company matters too much. If anyone has noticed, I've been using Barnes & Barnes PRODUCTION, and not productions; I'll change it when I get around to talking to the other Barnes.
Bradly!

Post by Bradly! »

Yo dudes, new here! Love the movies! Kept up with the thread! :) Yeah lookin cool! Im no expert but its lookin cool i can see bout usin older people too u know, but what can ya do huh? Cut really nicely and loved the music should be really cool when done! But listen to advice! ;)
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

UPDATE:

There are now 9 scenes to film, 2 of them are action scenes. I had to drop a scene and re-write it because we found out it'd cost $2,000,000 to film there...even with a 3 man cast and crew and a camcorder. about 6 of those scenes will be filmed this week and the rest next week. A full trailer will be on soon.