WWII and Zombies?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

UnkindSky

Re: RE: Re: WWII and Zombies?

Post by UnkindSky »

NPMAX wrote:Honestly guys I'm about tired of seeing 15 year olds running around with airsofts, making the backyard war epic. Theres lots of ideas out there, I challenge you all to try something different.
Bud, thats why it's called AMATEUR FILM MAKING!!!!!!! I mean, Jesus! If they wanna make a war movie, let em do it. If they wanna make a zombie movie then let em do that too! :evil: :evil:. I mean, if they wanna make an adult movie, let em do that too! As long as there is a finished product it shouldnt matter. I mean, if you use airsoft guns then fine. If it's bad it's bad, if it's good it's good!
Let god have mercy on my enemies... for i will not...
buck_suck

RE: Re: RE: Re: WWII and Zombies?

Post by buck_suck »

If you're making music videos for BET, what're you doing on an amatuer filmmaking forum?
Whats wrong with that? At the rate we're going, we're all gonna be pretty famous...Well at least pretty well known if we continue to make more and more films. We'll get better and better. The possibilities are endless. Who knows what we'll achieve one day?
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well, I agree with Kentertainment on this one, though perhaps for different motives, allow me to lol explain.

There are artists and there are cr** artists and there are poseurs who in effect replicate without ever engaging a creative muscle.

While the differenc between artists and cr** artists is subjective (giving hope to all) poseurs are beyond hope...

So naturally to create the all new 14yr old version of band of brothers is so bad that it could make a nun vomit...

Sure, the argument is that 'hey its all for fun let em' make what they want' or 'we're amatuers etc'

Well the problem is, not everyone is amatuers, (look at sonnyboo) while many do not want or do not percieve themselves as amatuers, while others use it as an excuse for their mediocrity while some (And i mean very few) genuinely are or simply wish to remain amatuer.

Hence its natural, that with so many different types o' folk, they will clash on what is in effect a meaningful project.

Given the enormous budget of any genuinely scaled ww2 film, (and sonnyboo's project counts as 'enormous budget' in comparison to most u dudes out in this forum lol) then there really is little point, hence why those who suggest it, are often seen as well, naive or worse.

Personally I think there are huge creative options within 'zombie' flicks, but then im considering evil dead, or dario argento's demons as zombie's too (where they were more like evil possessed freaks etc)

Ok im going on and on, but let me say this, what i find dissapointing even more than those 2 genres being the most popular, is that not many are taking a genuine hard look at the experimental, or the avante gaurde, of the present and past which in effect leads to the current 'forms' of film rules today.

If they did their ideas would be more original... and would be a step more advanced than what they saw last night on 'sky one' or (for americans... fox)

And if that sounds pompous lol... then good!
sonnyboo

Post by sonnyboo »

Lawriejaffa wrote:not everyone is amatuers, (look at sonnyboo)
People should be free to make whatever kind of movie they want, and everyone else should be free to like and not like them. Not sure why it's such a sore spot. Why care what other people do or don't do?
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

sonnyboo wrote:
Lawriejaffa wrote:not everyone is amatuers, (look at sonnyboo)
People should be free to make whatever kind of movie they want, and everyone else should be free to like and not like them. Not sure why it's such a sore spot. Why care what other people do or don't do?
No sore spot from me PJR someone called my experience into question, and in PMs questioned my creentials so I brought it up.
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

I think ultimately its all subjective so we should all just make whatever we wanna make. Zombie/WW2 flicks is a phase. Next we know, it'll be something else.
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

It's kinda hard not to do a WW2 movie when you've spent over $2,000 on guns, uniforms, and gear.

But my latest thing is a modern war, and a cheating miniseries.
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

Lol we got $2,000 sponsorship/funding for our previous film and it was entirely modern. We created an entire SWAT team with kevlar body armor, M4s, MP5s, etc. etc. etc. Alot of money (Or quite a lot at least) does not mean that you HAVE to do a WW2 movie.
the_satanic_COokie

Post by the_satanic_COokie »

i think what he's saying is, when you're making no budget films and your entire proplist is ww2 props...you kinda gotta use what you have
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

That is true...buf i agree with Kentertainment and lawriejaffa on this one, even though i am currently making a WW2 film. The reason I think so many people do WW2 and Zombie movies is that they are very braod and open. You have a lot of freedom with those genres. For example in Groshko's movie 1812, he did a great job, but he was limited in costumes and timeperiod, and that sort of stuff. He didn't really have the freedom to chose what his actors would look like and where it would take place. In Zombie movies they can look however you want. In WW2 you are limited in looks, but there is a vast amount of stories out there. You don't really need to get your creative juices flowing. No offense to anyone who has made a WW2 or Zombie movie, cuz most of the one's that I have seen are pretty good, it's just not as creativley demanding in some cases.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

What I think is funny is the fact that I post a movie or a movie trailer online and I get about twenty posts in like a week or two. This post had WWII and Zombies which must've attracted people because this is the 35th post in not even two days!

It's not necessarily that I am complaining, I'd just like to see something new for a change, that is why I was so excited when SgtPadrino put "Unforgiven" online, I literally danced to the thought that it wasn't one of these two genres! I'm pretty sure some of the people here that have made made a WWII or Zombie movie have made more than one of the following movies in this genre, I just think you should celebrate the diversity in genre's. I just made "Code of Dissolution" a sort of Action/Drama and now I'm making "I Want Money" a comedy, you see, it's possible. The only people I see complaining against me are those that have made a zombie or WWII movie.
the_satanic_COokie

Post by the_satanic_COokie »

well like I said I still haven't seen the movie made that I WANT to see. So I'm going to attempt at making it...

It falls into the zombie genre, because like I said I grew up with that, and it's what I know and love.

Do i have a bagillion other ideas for movies? HELL YES

BUt I desperately want to see the movie I've imagined for so long. I have the resources, and the drive so why the hell not? It's merely by coinsidence that the zombie craze has kinda come back around that my movie fits in with so many others...

...of course by the time I finish it, zombie movies wont be cool anymore and you'll all respect my originality again!

yay!
buck_suck

Post by buck_suck »

You know its kinda wierd that everyone wants to make a zombie/WWII movie and claims that they can't do anything else because of props/location constraints. Why not do a modern action film? I've not released my own film yet but it seems that very few people here want to make modern action flicks. You dont have to build your own set most of the time(Hey we live in the modern world), you have props (Everyday stuff), and you dont have to buy that many expensive costumes. Even if you wanted to do some army/police/SWAT thing which requires alot of props and costumes, going down to the local army surplus story is much cheaper than making your own or buy accurate ww2 uniform replicas.
UnkindSky

Post by UnkindSky »

So, basicly, this isnt about the genre persay... it's about people accually completing their movies? Cuz thats what it sounds like. But here's my say in it: Let em make whatever movie they want to. Even if they dont get a completed project, he can give it (or sell it) to another prduction company and let them make it (ex> Our productions giving our zombie script, STYX, to A.S.A.P productions or sonnyboo). Just my opinion.

CK
Let god have mercy on my enemies... for i will not...
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Why not do a modern action film?
Because it's the director's choice to do so.

It didn't hurt Spielburg too much when he did his little WW2 movies as a teen.

Yea, and I think it'd be great to stay away from amatuer and pro debates, I think Lawrie discussed the hell out of it.
http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/view ... start=1675
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol so I did! Mind u i was still completley misunderstood booooo lol
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Lawriejaffa wrote:lol so I did! Mind u i was still completley misunderstood booooo lol
Whatever. :roll:
Dr. Crawford

Post by Dr. Crawford »

Well I've been writing this script for a WWII movie since I started making videos. WWII is an interesting subject to me.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

as long as you know what you're doing im cool with it....