First Excercise for you all

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

SgtPadrino wrote:The exercise is supposed to be practice at cinematography. Storyboarding is an exercise in direction, the meaning of this is to get you to start looking at the damn shots.

If you think something needs to be storyboarded, that's fine, but it's just what you think. If you're the one operating the camera/lighting shots, and you have good people skills, you really don't need to be storyboarding. I know that's what your professors are drilling into your head, but I'll make you a deal, kay?

I'll make movies my way. You'll make movies your way.
Well then, enjoy the smalltime. I guess the people that actually want to make a career out of filmmaking will adopt a method that's been tried, test and proven. :roll:

Establishing a character through action is the director's job when it comes to production. It is the director who decides how it should be shown and thus the director who looks for the shots. The DOP simply makes the director's vision tangiable.
www.neverdead.co.nr
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

Vamp wrote:
SgtPadrino wrote:The exercise is supposed to be practice at cinematography. Storyboarding is an exercise in direction, the meaning of this is to get you to start looking at the damn shots.

If you think something needs to be storyboarded, that's fine, but it's just what you think. If you're the one operating the camera/lighting shots, and you have good people skills, you really don't need to be storyboarding. I know that's what your professors are drilling into your head, but I'll make you a deal, kay?

I'll make movies my way. You'll make movies your way.
Well then, enjoy the smalltime. I guess the people that actually want to make a career out of filmmaking will adopt a method that's been tried, test and proven. :roll:

Establishing a character through action is the director's job when it comes to production. It is the director who decides how it should be shown and thus the director who looks for the shots. The DOP simply makes the director's vision tangiable.
Now tell me this, what if you were making a documentary/working for a news station?
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Yeah... now who's got the superiority complex?

If I was dumb enough to make our micro-budget amateur movies like Hollywood makes their movies, I would have been bankrupt long ago.
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

Im not saying Storyboarding is bad, you just need the eye to know what works and what doesn't. And lets face it, I'd have more fun with a camera than pen and paper.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

I said a career out of filmmaking...If you adopted the same methods used by "big budget hollywood films" you'd have something that looks more polished than an amatuer movie. It doesn't cost anything besides some paper to draw a storyboard. Previsualisation should have the most emphasis placed on it, it is what will make or break your project during production. If you're doing something with friends that only you and they will see, fine, but if you want to actually gain some credit as being a good developer, don't be lazy.
www.neverdead.co.nr
jackbauer24

Post by jackbauer24 »

Zac,
You are criticizing Aaronv2 for not telling you how to improve your movies, but right now you are not telling him how he can improve his skills on that. You are doing the same thing you claim he is doing. You arent telling him anything except that he just criticizes your films, but instead you need to tell him how to give better feedback to your movies
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

ffs Vamp, if you operate the camera, light the shots, write the script, and direct the actors, and have half a clue as to what the hell you're doing, storyboards are completely unnecessary, especially when you're doing a small time flick on a fvcking miniDV camera.

I've got it in my head, I've got it written down on paper. I know what the hell I want going in, and I know what the hell I want when I'm shooting. For me, storyboards are nothing more than a waste of damned time, because I don't need to communicate my vision to anybody.

If I had adopted the techniques of college professors and big time film directors, I would have been spending too much time and money looking for somebody to do all of the work for me. I don't have the budget to hire a professional sound designer, editing suite, and a snot-nosed college kid DP, so you know what I do? I work around it, same as everyone else who doesn't have the cash.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Not to mention if you are that professionally set up, you would have a seperate storyboard artist anyway. ;)
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Heh, just the thing to alleviate your stress. Communicating your vision so someone else comes up with your shots.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hah, I think you misunderstand the duty of the storyboard artist...

Have you ever worked with a good storyboard artist? They are amazing. Fast, efficient, detailed, they know exactly what the director wants and put your ideas into something visual. That's why you WORK with them... it's not like you hand an artist a script and "good luck..." No, he or she is your closest friend by the time you're ready to start shooting!!

I would not be without a good storyboard artist on a large scale production.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

See, 'large scale production' is the thing. I'm still only 18, and I don't have any misconceptions with where I'm at or what I'm doing. This s*** won't be necessary for me until I start shooting on film, which isn't going to be for at least another five or six years.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

Jesus... I go away for one day. ONE DAY! and my thread has no constructive ideas or shots to show or anything.

As soon as you all get this hang up on me outa the way the better. If you don't want to do this then don't. Im not forcing anyone to do this.

Im trying as hard as I can to make you act as a "community" but all you seem to like to do is argue with each other. I never start arguments but there always seems to be some moron who takes offence to what I say.

So whatever another unsucessfull thread... Ready to argue in the next one children?

And whats this thing about me prooving myself? Ive posted work here before... Ive posted as Insert_Coin also when this board started out. Look it up. Im not here to impress you.

Fu*king grow up the lot of you its so stupid the way you people act towards each other then gang up on someone or whatever honestly its past the joke. GROW THE F*CK UP!

Even when I try to do something good you all f*ck it up. Now Im angry. If you dont care about what this thread is about then stay the fu*k out. Otherwise there were people who seriously wanted help.

Morons.
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

You sound like a feeble old man. ""I'm trying as hard as I can to make you act as a community". Hahahaha. Priceless.
www.neverdead.co.nr
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

ALRIGHT PEOPLE!!! This argument ends NOW! We are a film making community: Amateure, professional, beginner, whatever. Do the excersise or don't! Storyboard the sequence or don't storyboard it at all. This isn't a discussion on whether people have time to do it or they don't. Its a discussion on telling a story visualy with the way a filmer films his shots. C'mon guys can't we all just sing a song?
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx