lightwave Vs 3d studio max

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

the_hetster

lightwave Vs 3d studio max

Post by the_hetster »

as i have never actualy used a 3d modelling program but feel that i need to use and learn one. what would be your suggestions for the above programs. i hear lightwave is quite powerful and very easy to use with its use of text instead of icons. where as 3d studio is more powerful but harder to use because it is icon driven. i would like any feedback before spending a fortune on the wrong package. thank you all in advance.

P.S. thanks matt for making the forum and your web page. it was because of these i decided to have a go at film making myself and am loving every minute of it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Easy is a relative thing when you are doing 3D. If it is your first venture into 3D then it wont be easy.
I prefer Lightwave but only because when I first started 3D stuff it was avaliable. Allthough I do prefer the way that lightwave separates the modelling aspects from the scene.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

3D Studio Max tends to have more tutorials and stuff available on the net so I would recommend that if you are going to choose one.

I think most people on here doing 3D stuff tend to use 3D Studio Max.

Lightwave is definitely a comparable application and both programs would do everything you needed them to do. The trouble is finding the time to get to grips with the interfaces etc.

The programs are complicated and finding good tutorials to get you started is not easy. However, in time they can be very rewarding. Go for it.
the_hetster

Post by the_hetster »

its not the learning side. i have a degree in computers (not film making unfortunately) so learning comes easy.. its just i dont wanna jump in at the deep end with a program i cant get to grips with. i'd like a fairly powerful but easy to understand prog to start with. then if i feel its not up to scratch then upgrade to a more powerful prog with a bit of knowledge under my belt.. thats why i want posts on the lightwave Vs 3d studio max. i have like cool 3d which is good for text but lets be honest bloody useless for anything else. but from the posts and what ive heard lightwave is the best for the novice 3d modeller. but i may change my mind in a few posts time who knows.
cheers again
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

Well, as a general rule the "pro's" go by Lightwave is used more for films & TV stuff & 3D Studio Max is used more for Games.

Both however are great programs & as many will agree, it depends more on the artist than the software.

I use Lightwave, but thats because i wanted the software that many "pro's" used in the movies (see www.newtek.com for a full list). Now i've gotten used to Lightwave i couldn't switch, even if i wanted too. It's better to keep at one program & try & get the most from it.

However, there is a lot more tutorials & free models on the net for 3D Studio Max....

Download the try out versions & "Dabble" :D
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

To go along with what Mushiman said, 3D Studio tends to be used a lot for games but that's again just a preferance as a lot of feature film stuff is done in 3D Studio along with Lightwave.

So just experiment!

Personally I like 3D Studio 'cus it was the first I had access too, and there's a whole wealth of tutorials and free plugins avaliable online.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
the_hetster

Post by the_hetster »

thanks for all the replies. i have just got 3d studio max as there is a lot of tutorials available. so heres to 3 mnths intense study like i had to with after effects. but the end results are worth the pain.
thanks again.