Is HuffyUV the best AVI Codec?

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Is HuffyUV the best AVI Codec?

Post by Vamp »

Or are there any better ones? what bitrate does Huffy cap in because It seems that I can't change the bitrate when I cap in it and there's no indication of what bitrate it is.
www.neverdead.co.nr
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

huffyuv is realy good
i can tell the difference between huffyuv and uncompressed, only by the size :p
i don't know about the bitrate
Rico

Post by Rico »

Since HuffYUV is non-destructive compression, the image is (bit-by-bit) the same as the source material, so there shuld not be any difference (it should be noted that "compressed" does not equal "loss of quality", even though it usually implies this when it comes to audio or video compression).

I'm not sure about the bitrate either - some time has passed since I looked into this :) My guess is that it stays the same as the source material?

/Rico
Scores for Your movie
[url]http://www.fredrikblom.com[/url]
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

wat does huffyUV change to make a smaller size but same quality? and is it as good for editing with and everything as uncompressed AVI? do u guys use it for capture?
Rico

Post by Rico »

Short: HuffYUV makes use of the Huffman packing algorithm (hence the name). It would be a bit to much to go into detail on that here - I don't know exactly how it does it in this case (I know the algorithm - it isn't that hard) :).
It is lossless since it delivers the exact same bytes as it got as input. This also means that it is good input for editing.

I don't actually know what You mean by uncompressed AVI, so it depends, but by the sound of it, it sounds larger than HuffYUV compressed AVI (since it is an AVI codec as well), but I'm not sure...
HuffYUV was (as I recall, haven't used it some years) made especially for capturing from analogue sources, so it ought to be good for that very purpose.

It should also be noted that if You use DV for capture, the data has already been compressed once (in a lossy fashion), but this is inherent with the miniDV system, so AVI-DV (or whatever You'd like to call it) contains the data as it was stored on the tape, which is (AFAIK) a good as it gets :)

HuffYUV could (in this scenario) be used for intermediate storage of clips and stuff, for instance if You need to move an edited clip from one program to another (I used it to move my edited movies from Premiere to TMPGEnc, before I discovered AVISynth :) )

Regards,
Rico
Scores for Your movie
[url]http://www.fredrikblom.com[/url]