Retribution

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Retribution

Post by SgtPadrino »

I finally got around to downloading and watching this, and well, I'm very dissapointed. The sword fights (although it was nice to see something that breaks out of the mold) looked way too rehearsed and slow (I know; safety). One of the things that really got to me was the whole Cain being a master fighter. If he got so frustrated he killed his master, why would he pursue that area of combat? It makes no sense at all. Also foxwood, I know that you really love swords, but they really had no place in the actual story. In this day and age, the voice of reason comes from the barrel of a gun, not the tip of a sword. One of the things that I was most confused about was that the main character didn't just put a gun to Cain's head and pulled the trigger. These guys used to be soldiers, why are they so caught up in sword fighting? I also thought that your choice of music almost never matched up with the scene at any point of the movie (except for the 'gearing up' scene near the end) The grandiose strings and stuff of Lord of the Rings simply does NOT go with the kind of story you were telling. You definitely should have gone with Road to Perdition or Spy Game with the music, since you didn't compose your own. The music transitions were also pretty bad, I suggest getting some kind of audio mixing software.

I did kind of like the war scene at the beginning, besides the quiet-as-all-hell gun shots and rediculous looking flame thrower. And as far as I know, farmers nowadays use tractors and combines, not hoes. Those are usually reserved for gardners. Also, a steadicam definitely would have helped, as well as a microphone since a lot of the conversations could barely be heard over the background noises. Overall, I was really dissapointed with this movie. Better luck next time :(
Grant

Post by Grant »

well Foxwood we await your response;)
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

I want a good clean fight mind...
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Grant

Post by Grant »

yep.....it all has to be constructive
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

still wating foxwood. i'm interested too. i had a very simliar to response to retribution but i have found a new respect for foxwood now and have learned not to be as critical.
Peter Cote
Founder of Breakout Films

[img]http://i07.thefacebook.com/pics/3/0/n11400374_4237.jpg[/img]
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

This may get ugly... :D
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

FRUIT YOU!!!

Ok to get to constructive crtiisem.

The sword fights (although it was nice to see something that breaks out of the mold) looked way too rehearsed and slow (I know; safety).
Because well ya sharp swords and before we could really run through the fight (which was maped out to be much longer), one sword broke, which we have worked back in. but then thats what we get for 20 bucks.

One of the things that really got to me was the whole Cain being a master fighter. If he got so frustrated he killed his master, why would he pursue that area of combat? It makes no sense at all.
Evil people have no pachance for simple ways, its the dark side faster quicker. He was always a fighter, he killed mary because he saw power and thought she wasn't letting him have it.

Also foxwood, I know that you really love swords, but they really had no place in the actual story. In this day and age, the voice of reason comes from the barrel of a gun, not the tip of a sword.
It was a neo futuisting sword movie, Martal arts people don't use swords, thats just not what they do. And I recal that on two ocations Mike tryed to shoot Kane and it didn't work, miss the knife in the barrel.

One of the things that I was most confused about was that the main character didn't just put a gun to Cain's head and pulled the trigger. These guys used to be soldiers, why are they so caught up in sword fighting?
See above. Because while they were trying to kill each other they had honor and respect for each other. Sword combat is more honerable then guns.

I also thought that your choice of music almost never matched up with the scene at any point of the movie (except for the 'gearing up' scene near the end) The grandiose strings and stuff of Lord of the Rings simply does NOT go with the kind of story you were telling. You definitely should have gone with Road to Perdition or Spy Game with the music, since you didn't compose your own. The music transitions were also pretty bad, I suggest getting some kind of audio mixing software.
The music I think works and it is what I had on hand. And people who didn't like me music Carnage like the transitions. Also as a note as I type I have a friend working on a score for the flick.

I did kind of like the war scene at the beginning, besides the quiet-as-all-hell gun shots and rediculous looking flame thrower.
fare

And as far as I know, farmers nowadays use tractors and combines, not hoes. Those are usually reserved for gardners.
He wanted to get back to nature, also he was a substance farmer, which is only a step above gardening, and do you have a tracter that I could use in a shoot, because I don't. God you don't appreseate simpler times.

Also, a steadicam definitely would have helped, as well as a microphone since a lot of the conversations could barely be heard over the background noises.
Do you have a stedy cam? I'm sory I don't have one, and didn't want to be confined by my damn tripod. Oh and ya I didn't have a mic exsept the one on my cam, I'm poor. Also shooting in basements wasn't the best thing but thats what we had.

Overall, I was really dissapointed with this movie. Better luck next time
At lest I put mine out, where is that huge movie that you made? I no see it.
Also why is it that most films here even if they are not good get prase but mine gets a new a** hole torn out, was if because I tryed a story, I had legth, what, I don't think its that bad. I know it has problems I know that it was a project that got a bit to big, but its not that bad. I would like to see you do better. I'll send you the script and see if you could do better! I mean come on, it seems that this is the only film here that just got the s*** hounded out of it, most just get a good job, s*** I don't even get a "It sucked but good effert." I was constructive now back to the Screw you!

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by Grant]
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I predicted correctly :D

And foxwood, I don't care hopw bad or good it was, someone who makes a movie (what was it, 40 min long?) on a limited budget deserves a whole lot of credit! :cool:

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by U.S.Amateurfilmaker]
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Ya 43 min on a 200 dollor budget.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Originally posted by foxwood
Ya 43 min on a 200 dollor budget.
wow... :o
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Umm, I didn't mean for that to be an attack on you, it was supposed to be a review of the movie, but thanks for clarifying things for me. With the whole sword fighting thing, what I meant was that since they were soldiers, they would have been conditioned to use guns, so it seems more realistic to me if they had gotten into a gunfight or two, but the main character wanted to learn how to use a sword as a sort of tribute to his dead wife. As for Farrago, we're working on getting an Apache server up, but this flick was something me and my cousin thought up at three in the morning while we were playing Vice City, then shot the next day, so don't expect the next Godfather :). We're going to go back over it after our next movie, because we both know we can make it considerably better.

Anyway, when I asked why he didn't just shoot Kane, I meant just walk up to him and kill him instead of trying to fight him first. I also meant it would have helped if you could have built a steadicam. Doesn't cost much, and takes half an hour to make.

I also think you missed out on a nice little Biblical reference by not naming the main character Abel.

And I was talking about the music transitions, not the video transitions.
[Edited on 24-10-2003 by SgtPadrino]

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by SgtPadrino]
CORPSE GRINDER

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

Well, we're all fimmakers here.

PLEASANT SHOOTING EVERYBODY!
"This is when I saw the dark figures moving about in the woods. I should have never tampered with the 'Book Of The Dead.' I now know that whatever it is I have resurrected through this book, is coming for me."

--The Evil Dead
Simon Rylance

Post by Simon Rylance »

were can i see this movie? :D
GET A SONY!!!!
www.geocities.com/simonfilms.com
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Gun fights for this would have been not as I don't know early morning loss of vocabulaery. I don't think it would have satisfied Mike's lust for revenge, And I didn't name hin Able becuae they were not brothers, and able never killed kane. even though I am using that referance in another script I'm working on, with nor realtion to rertribution. I was also talking the music trasnitions. Building a stedycam was still a bit out of our range, as we didn't have time or money, we barly got the shoot finished, because summer got cut shorter then usaly by having to go to college.

Simon you can get it here
here just click on eather Retribution of parts I-VI.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

Originally posted by SgtPadrino
when I asked why he didn't just shoot Kane, I meant just walk up to him and kill him instead of trying to fight him first.
Because then there wouldn't be plot. The bad guy never dies in the beggining, and he never just takes a bullet in the head. He useually gets thrown from a building into a hellicopter rotor or something. Anyway, Foxwood, I think the only thing bad about Retribution was how you couldn't hear the actors. Aside from that, it was all fine.

Hey, How come we never do rag on someone else film?
I've seen films that were worse coming out of Hollywood.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

FRUIT YOU!!!
Ha ha ha!!

I have to say some of SgtPadrino's comments came straight out of his a**. Steadycam? LOL!!!

What did Grant edit in Foxwoods post, out of interest/noseyness...?
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

FRUIT YOU!!

Also why is it that most films here even if they are not good get prase but mine gets a new a** hole torn out,
that just got the s*** hounded out of it, most just get a good job, s*** I don't even get a "It sucked but good effert." I was constructive now back to the Screw you!

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by Grant]
Because I really doubt Foxwood typed "Fruit You" or any of those *s
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Ya I didn't say fruit you, I just used the f word and it didn't get cought by the auto cencer. and I didn't bother to edit out any of my bad words.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me. Anyway, I watched it again, and I guess the only thing that was truly wrong with it was the fact that you can't hear the voices and the shaky camera work. I was kinda in a bad mood yesterday when I watched it, so that's why I was being picky.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

ah, it always gets better on that second viewing, and don't worry, you only missed bad diologe.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

The auto censor no longer exists...

But don't go thinking you can go swear your... buttocks... off.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Ah I did not know that. i would never think that I could swear my Buttocks off, but that would be a funny thing to see.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yes sgt padrino i had a very similar reaction and probably tore down foxwoods film even more but now i realize that we are all AMATUER film makers and we're having a good time. i really must give foxwood proper credit for even attempting a film of that length. great job foxwood!

p.s. if you want to see how badly i tore it up you can find my thread if you search for something like "retribution two thumbs down" just remember that my feelings about this film have drastically changed since then.

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by Carnage7p]
Peter Cote
Founder of Breakout Films

[img]http://i07.thefacebook.com/pics/3/0/n11400374_4237.jpg[/img]
Grant

Post by Grant »

a fine movie is like a fine wine.....it only gets better with age
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Very true. I feel at any publisity even nevitive publisity is good publisity, if this gets even one other person to watch the film then it has acomplish somthing. and that thred carnage mentioned is here Retribution two thumbs down.